We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elephant house

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
elephant house

in Brufut?? What is it? Saw a sign for it on the main highway earlier this year. Looked like a guesthouse or something and have seen it mentioned a few times as being somewhere to go for meals/drinks? Is this right? Any good???

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: elephant house

Rings a Bell, but senile as I am Can't remember where it was...!!!!

Or what it was.....

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elephant house

we've only been once, it's just off the highway just past the main road into Brufut. You can see it from the highway. It is, or was, a lodge with round houses in the garden but not sure if it's still open for residents. It's local and was, typically, a case of 'you can have what we have' but none of the drinks were cold. Maybe it's changed in the last couple of years and I'm sure Heledd will let us know.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elephant house

I went there last summer, and it was open. There are about 4 or 5 roundhouses, and they had been occupied and breakfast was available for them. I had a look in one of the recently occupied round houses, and they seemed very clean, but basic (though I think they had electricity).The actual elephant house is a huge and very empty two storey building. Must say, although they were not expecting anyone at 10.30 am on a summer morning, they were all very friendly, and the beer was cold! The beach is a short walk away across the road. Will try and take a look again this week and see what's happening there.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elephant house

Heledd, it's such a waste that it's not used more. No people means no atmosphere so people who do pop in for a drink don't go back because it's quiet and the cycle starts again. We sat on the roof for our drinks and they didn't have electricity then but it was over 3.5 years ago. Will give it another go in December. Any idea what's happening with Brufut Motel?? another one which was underused but very friendly staff. It was a godsend when we were building - we used to go there for cold beer and softs for the workmen...

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elephant house

I keep asking about the Brufut Motel. No open yet, still under renovation.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elephant house

thanks for that guys. Will take a look when we are next over.Its so handy for the beach and we dont mind quiet as its sometimes easier with the kiddies! lol. Do they do food do you know or just drinks. Heledd - would be interested to hear what you htink if you do go again. Cheers mate xx

7. Re: elephant house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Brufut
Recent Conversations