We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brufut vs Kololi

Cannock, Staffs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Brufut vs Kololi

we are looking at staying in Brufut this year, stayed in the senegambia strip last year, and we are a little bit nervy about being away from the main tourist area, albeit thinking staying out of the tourist areas may be a new expierence entirely.

Any body got any advice on Brufut???

(Hoping to stay at Hibiscus House, but need to find flights first!)

Mentioned in this post
Hibiscus House
Hibiscus House
190 Reviews
Brufut, Gambia
NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

There was a post quiet recently about Brufut, have a read of this

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1159616-i15963-…

IMO Brufut is lovely, close enough and cheap enough to get to Senegambia if you want to go there but yet in the middle of 'proper' Gambia. The beach is fantastic there as well with no hassle and miles and miles of deserted sand and lovely, really friendly beach bars.

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,376 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

Brufut/Brusubi is Heledds area..She lives there and will give you loads of info if you havent contacted her already. We stayed there last year and found it a bit quiet compared to Senegambia but its only a taxi ride away. However we went to Hibiscus House for an afternoon and its beautiful...a bit like a boutique hotel but in no way snooty.

The setting is nice with loads of flowers. The pool is good and the food and drink is cheaper than most places down the strip.

Its certainly very safe and everyone makes you welcome. A bit dusty and it can get dark as theres not much street lighting but I would stay there!

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,376 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Hibiscus House
Hibiscus House
190 Reviews
Brufut, Gambia
Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

I'm interested to know if the road down to Hibiscus, and indeed further down to inner Brufut, has been improved since I was there two years ago. If not, how is it now after all the rain? Also has any lighting been put down the road. These are definitely concerns when planning to holiday away from the main tourist areas. Always enjoyed the Blue Bar though.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

bahtboy, no it hasn't improved in the last 2 years. In September it was just a mass of DEEP puddles. In April it's a free for all with no-one driving on the right side. Everyone just takes the best route, regardless of where that may be, to avoid the big holes. The bush taxis are best zooming up and down and the passengers hitting the roof as they bounce around.

No lighting along the road either.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

Thanks Kerr. I thought that would be the case. Rumour had it that Jammeh doesn't like Brufut and it's people who I think are mainly Mandinka.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

yes they are mainly Mandinka but it's not true that he doesn't like Brufut. There are certain things going on that confirm that infact he really likes the area!

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

Don't tell me he's bought a compound there. If so, he'll have to be careful of the local alkalo. He did me once (or at least his son Yankuba did).

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

Bahtboy - the alkaloo has been changed now after some very dodgey dealings.

deeej - I put together some photos of Brufut village, and Hibiscus House is definitely in the middle of a proper Gambian village. The Sheraton is right on the beach. I live further inside the village, but never any problem getting about, apart from no street lighting and sandy roads.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Mentioned in this post
Hibiscus House
Hibiscus House
190 Reviews
Brufut, Gambia
staffordshire
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

We stayed in a bungalow just round the corner from the hibiscus house earlier this year and going back next Feb. We spent a few days at the hibiscus and its really lovely. When we went it was empty so they let us use the facilities! Its a lovely setting and the bar and food is great! It is in the middle of the village but easily accesible to the strip in taxis. WE much preferred Brufut to Kololi. Felt we were living with the locas who were so friendly and we got no hassle. You will live it!

Mentioned in this post
Kololi
Kololi
Serekunda, Gambia
10. Re: Brufut vs Kololi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 12:11
Get answers to your questions about Brufut
Recent Conversations