We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Thinking about going to the Sheraton in January 2011, never been to The Gambia before and we want to make sure that we have a good hotel, checked with Thomas Cook and we would be going AI, done this in Sharm a couple of times and no major problems (stomach upsets etc). Bit concerned about the stories regarding the 'seagulls' and not being able to use the pool, this must spoil the holiday as I read that it is in the 30s in January.........

There are some mixed reviews on the Forum regarding this hotel although most are positive, we just want a week in the sun being looked after with a couple of trips thrown in, this might seem lazy but that suits us. Any advice would be appreciated, or any recommendations re hotels.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Hi

For the type of holiday you say you want then the Sheraton will be suitable and if you want AI in TG then its your only choice You have read some reviews so have some idea Just be careful you fully understand what the AI package includes Only local beers spirits and softs are included any branded drinks including for example coke are not included and are very expensive You dont have access to all the dining options and some facilities are time limited A surprise that greets many guests at checkout is that AI finishes on your last morning so any meals etc taken in the afternoon are fully charged rgds

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Not been to the Sheraton before,have passed it many times & ogled in from the beach but it looks a nice hotel. Quiet position on a good stretch of beach with some beach bars close by if you start to wander-although not included in the AI.... lol. Yes you're away from the 'strip' but if needed only a short taxi ride away.Not sure what they mean about the seagulls-seen more in my garden than in Gambia!

If you are looking for a hotel nearer the main places,can I suggest Kairaba hotel in Senegambia-been there twice on B&B.Very good hotel,quiet inside but outside lots of restaurants/bars to visit. Expensive to eat/drink there but you get the best of both worlds!

Your choice,you pay!

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,376 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Ilminster, United...
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

blue07

Sheraton has a problem with seagulls who pack the swimming pool in their hundreds and deposit loads of cr*p in it rgds

England
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Thanks for the tips, looks like a bit more research is needed before we pick which hotel.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Hi,

We spent 2 weeks chilling at the Sheraton last Xmas and overall really loved the hotel and staff but I personally wouldn't go all inclusive. I'm not sure if you would be restricted to restaurants but the Cremata Restaurant buffet was apalling, the al a carte was just OK. We didn't try the buffet at Balafon but the al a carte here was very good. We had a couple of house keeping issues but during the whole two weeks we never encountered a problem with seagulls around the pool so I'm a little confused over this one.

There was no real evening entertainment and anything laid on was usually over by 7pm and I would go stir crazy staying at the hotel day and night. The strip is around 15 minutes away by taxi and there are some superb restaurants and you could easily eat somewhere different every night.

I used the spa a couple of times and would definately describe it as below average.

Having said all that, if your main aim is to get some R&R, I would absolutely recommend the Sheraton.

Sarah

xx

Oslo
Level Contributor
85 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

I will highly recommend The Dunes Resort at Kotu beach. Went there in July. It was brilliant!

Mentioned in this post
Kotu Beach
Kotu Beach
576 Reviews
Kotu, Gambia
Shropshire
Level Contributor
210 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Have spent a week at the Kairaba and a day at the Sheraton. There is no doubt that the Sheraton is a modern hotel but brufut is a little isolated from the main resort "The strip" and you will not get any flavour of TG.

I concur with a previous post try the Kairaba and you are within walking distance of all ameneties, giving you a more fulfilling experience without having to use taxis.

Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

Glyndwyer, have to disagree with one comment you made ' you will not get any flavour of TG'. IMO if you are willing to walk out of the Sheraton you will get more flavour of TG than anywhere around the Kairaba. Walk down the beach and you will find small beach bars with no hassle, just friendly chat. Walk across the main road (and to the left of right NOT the Taf estate directly opposite) and you will be in the middle of gambian life.

Whilst the Sheraton is not right in the middle of the tourist areas it's only 5-10 mins in a taxi from the strip.

Bumped up a post about Brufut for you 'not miles away'

Edited: 28 August 2010, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Kairaba Beach Hotel
913 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

You forgot the fishing centre, Ghana Town, Brufut Woods!! The little villages behind Brufut, Tintintoo, Wullingkamma, etc. How can you get any more Gambian?

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Spa Brufut Heights

I made a collection of videos and photos on

…photobucket.com/albums/…

for you to see that staying at the Sheraton, Brufut will give you a real taste of the Gambia. Also, most of the videos I take are recorded in Brufut

http://www.youtube.com/heleddytywysoges

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Brufut
Recent Conversations