We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing into Macedonia

dumfries , Scotland
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
border crossing into Macedonia

I will be staying in Blagoevgrad in October. Is there any way I could cross the border into Macedonia to the nearest town or village either for day trip or overnight stay. I would be grateful for any information.

Mentioned in this post
2 replies to this topic
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
301 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: border crossing into Macedonia

The nearest town in Macedonia is Delchevo. It's a small town with not so much to see, except for the fantastic cuisine at the local traditional mehana restaurant "Dve Lipi". If there's something worth to spend the time travelling to the town, it's this restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/meanadvelipi?fref=ts

There are regular bus lines between Blagoevgrad and Delchevo, you can check the timetable here. According to the website, the travel by bus takes 1 hour. It's too much but I've travelled by car and it's faster by car, of course.

http://www.bgrazpisanie.com/en

There's a hotel in the town, but I think you'd better have only a daily trip to the town. There's more to see in other parts of Macedonia or back in Bulgaria in the Blagoevgrad region.

P.S. +edit - just have in mind the automatic link provided to "Delchevo" by the TripAdvisor site redirects to the Bulgarian village with the same name, so just look up about the Macedonian Delchevo somewhere else on the internet.

Edited: 29 June 2015, 15:16
Mentioned in this post
dumfries , Scotland
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: border crossing into Macedonia

Thank you very much Tsetvana for your information.

Reply to: border crossing into Macedonia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blagoevgrad