We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to Jerusalem

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
6 posts
67 reviews
Taxi to Jerusalem

What currency do we need to pay the taxi driver. Will they take Euros or US currency? Thanks!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

Shekels.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,543 posts
237 reviews
2. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

Get shekels at the airport by using your ATM to withdraw shekels. Your bank account will be debited in your home currency.

Douglas Duckett

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

Considering they are posting in the Ashdod forum and their name is Craft Cruiser, I am thinking they will not be going to the airport but will instead be taking a cruise stop.

Like the others said, shekels is the way to go but I do not know if there is an ATM available at the port.

Perhaps a local can chime in here.

Dr. Z

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,816 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

There is no ATM at the port - at least not on the dock and most cruise passengers who arrive for a one day tour disembark right on the dock and do not go the visitor's center that does have an ATM.

In this case, my guess is that the taxi drivers will take dollars or Euros, or you can ask the driver to stop at an ATM for you to withdraw some cash in shekels.

Will your taxi ride be a short one, or will the taxi accompany you for the day? If the latter, then you should have no problem exchanging some money later.

ONTARIO
Level Contributor
6 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

Thanks for the replies and yes we are there on a cruise stop. I was hoping to pay the taxi driver in Euros and then get Shekels from an ATM in Jerusalem for spending that day. We just want to get dropped off and then arrange a taxi to take us back later in the day.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,341 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

Make sure you know what the current exchange rate is. If you have computer access on board you can go to globes.co.il, the click English in the upper left hand corner and at the bottom it will give you the current Euro-shekel rate. At this moment is says 4.9775. With that posted rate I would be happy if the cabbie gave me anywhere from 4.6-4.8 shekel to the euro.

Note: the rates on this site are commerical. Even my regular money changer ( who I bargin with) will never give me the printed rate. ie. right now the dollar rate is 3.417 and I would hope to get him to give me something between 3.38 and 3.39 . ( and yes I am giving you less because cabbies themselves then have to go to the money changer and the rate of exchange fluctuates so they are going to give themselves a cushion

7. Re: Taxi to Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 05:50