We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

I'll be traveling to Israel this December. I'll have a week to spend with relatives who live in Ashdod and Ashkelon, then spend a week with my son in Tel Aviv. Should I be making Tel Aviv my base and just travel to Ashdod and Ashkelon daily, or will it be too much of a commute?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

I went to the Egged Bus site to see how long it would take for you to do this. (

egged.co.il/eng

It revealed there are no direct routes to Ashdod. You have to change buses. The trip can range anywhere from slightly over 1 hour to 1.5 hours. It cost--again depending upon route approx. 45 shekels. ( 3.75 shekel to the $$ yesterday)

Ashkelon can be reached by one bus. It takes 1.5 hours and cost 53.5 shekels. Whether you commute back and forth--or spend the whole week at each location is up to you.

I did look into going between Ashkelon and Ashdod--and that is THREE buses. Personally I'd spend a couple of days in Ashdod, a couple of days in Ashkelon ( leave the bulk of your luggage at your son's) and then go to Tel Aviv.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

The direct buses to Ashdod are not run by Egged, but by Metropolin and Veolia. You can see the schedules at www.otobusim.com (click on [English beta]).

Egged runs the #300 bus to Ashkelon.

There are also trains to Ashdod and Askelon. These are also listed on "otobusim" or you can look at the railway web site:

http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/HomePage.aspx

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,744 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

Correction to rdglady post. There is regular bus service (every 10-20 minutes) to Ashdod from Tel Aviv, it takes about 50 minutes, depending on traffic. There is are also regular buses between Ashdod and Ashkelon. The train is convenient from Tel Aviv to Ashdod and Ashkelon but a bit more expensive. I would stay in Ashdod/Ashkelon to safe time and money and get to explore both towns which have their own interesting spots that many don't visit.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,324 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

For greater convenience you may want to stay in Ashdod or Ashkelon. If you want to enjoy Tel Aviv in the evenings, etc. then definitely, stay there. Transportation from one to the other of these three cities is convenient, easy, and frequent. If you stay in Tel Aviv then I would suggest you base your decision on bus or train based on where your relatives live in Ashdod or Ashkelon. The train stations are on the outer edges of either town, while the bus stations are in the center of things.

If you choose to stay in Ashkelon or Ashdod and want to take a day trip to Jerusalem that is easy too - Egged has direct buses from either city to Jerusalem. From Ashkelon its the 437 (ride is about an hour and a half), from Ashdod there is an express 448 and also a 438.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

Mbgg--thanks for the addition. Even though Egged showed a way to get to Ashdod--I should have checked with otobusim--since there are so many other companies nowadays. Glad you were able to make what looked like a horrendous journey better!

6. Re: Traveling between Tel Aviv, Ashdod and Ashkelon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 11:47