We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Danville, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Hi,

My husband and I plan to spend one day in Jerusalem on a ship excursion taking the Zion Walking Tour and then just enjoying the City. We would like to take a taxi to and from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem but do not know how convenient this is, what the typical taxi fee might be and whether we have to take a bus to the main terminal and then catch a taxi from there. Are there usually lots of taxis waiting there? Should it be difficult finding a taxi to return us to the ship late Friday afternoon?

Many thanks!

TravelguruDanville

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Ashdod
Ashdod
Southern District, Israel
Highlights of Israel Day Trip from...
151 Reviews
from US$ 131.00*
Free Cancellation
Jerusalem Daily Half Day Tour from...
1 Review
from US$ 80.00*
Free Cancellation
Day Tour to Jerusalem and Bethlehem...
254 Reviews
from US$ 118.00*
Free Cancellation
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

There are taxis waiting on the dock for passengers getting off the ship in Ashdod. A taxi costs about 240 shekels each direction ($1=NIS3.70). It takes about 1.5 hours each direction, depending on traffic. Zion Walking tour is at 11:00. There is a tour at 9:45 also departing from Jaffa Gate which might be better as you will arrive there around 9:30 and it would be ashamed to wait around until the tour, or come back after exploring some. The company is Jerusalem Experience (www.jerusalemexperience.co.il). This company has several types of tours to choose from, or you can build your own with their experts.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Ashdod
Ashdod
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Chana - is it 89$ per person? How long is such a tour. Zion Walking tours is much cheaper and takes 3 hours.

A clarifiaction - I have never used any of these companies. In Jerusalem I take Yad Ben-Zvi tours which are in Hebrew.

Mentioned in this post
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

I am not sure of the price, but do now that Jerusalem Experience tours are 4.5 - 5 hours and are built to fit the clients desires and needs, are in very small groups between 2-6 people and cannot be compared to Zion Tours, which are great but cater to a general population with a regular tour whose route is the same each day.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 24 May 2010, 00:55
Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Actually, Chana, that is not true. The Zion Walking Tours route very much depends on the individual guide. I have taken it several times with significant variety. And it often lasts about four hours or so.

Further, I've never had more than eight people or so on that tour. They are not huge. Sometimes it is as few as four.

I think it's a good quality intro tour at obviously far less of a cost.

Douglas Duckett

Edited: 24 May 2010, 01:02
Mentioned in this post
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Danville, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Hi All,

Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad to hear that there are taxis waiting at the port and the approximate cost. The one email I did get from a taxi service indicated it would be NIS480 each way, which is double what Chana indicated (and he was very specific about it being NIS480 each way)! At that price, I was really reconsidering my decision not to use a private guide. But this will work out great.

At Douglas's suggestion in his travel journal, I booked with Zion Gates Tour and they have been very accommodating and responsive to my emails. I even asked for Aram Khatchadourian to be our guide and they indicated they would try to see if he was available (thanks Douglas). Finally, they advised that the tour would be at 10 a.m. which really works well into our schedule. Now I just have to figure out what else to do in Jerusalem to round out the day before heading back to the ship at 6 p.m.

Thanks again for all of your input!

TravelguruDanville

Mentioned in this post
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,912 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

There are loads of things to do and see in Jerusalem. What are you interested in? Also, if you tell us something about you it may help. ie. do you want things of Jewish interest or Christian interest?

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Danville, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Hi,

We are in our early 60's, Jewish and very active (although we climbed Massad before, I don't think that's on our calendar anymore)! We spent so little time in Jerusalem last time, we really want to concentrate our day in the City since we have so little time. We are anticipating that after the Zion tour, we will probably want to retrace some of the more interesting sites in the Old City and have lunch there. Then we are open. Although museums are obviously a possibility, I think our preference would be to do something more active. The tunnel tour sounded really great, but it seems that, being Friday, it starts at the same time as the Zion Tour. Since our ship departs at 8 p.m., I'm not sure we will be able to see the gathering at the Western Wall before we need to leave to return to the ship.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Many thanks,

TravelguruDanville

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Zion Hotel
Zion Hotel
171 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jaffa Old City
Jaffa Old City
8,579 Reviews
Jaffa, Israel
Western Wall
Western Wall
9,036 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Hi, i'm trying to make a similar decision but was wondering about bus/coach costs from the port of Ashdod to Jerusalem - rather than a taxi - any advice?

Unfortunately my time is fairly limited and i think a 4-5 hour walking tour is outside of my time frame- any other adivce on tours of shorter durations?

Im not really sure what i want to see - but just a general overview - but certainly dont want to get caught up in hoards of other tourists ( i think everyone wants the same experience)!

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ashdod
Ashdod
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

gregb, what you are asking for is an inexpensive way to leave the port and not be out for 4-5 hours. First of all you can only leave the port by coach tour, private guided tour or by taxi. The authorities will not allow you to walk out, besides the fact that you would never find the exit, it is very far and from there you'd need to take a taxi. Tel Aviv is about 20 minutes away (after 9:30 a.m.). You could feasily walk around Tel Aviv for 2 hours and return the ship, but you really won't see anything but perhaps the beach and a typical large metropolis. That would be only place you could go on your own for a short period of time.

TravelguruDanville -- the tunnel tours run on Friday from morning till about 2 and you can make an appointment according to your schedule. There are other companies such as Jerusalem Experience which offer custom tours, meaning you can ask for the hour convenient to you (minimum 2 guests).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Availability and Cost from Ashdod Port to Jerusalem

Hi TravelguruDanville

As you'll get off the ship you will see the taxis waiting at the pier. The cost as mentioned should be around 240NIS according to the official fixed price tariff each direction. Getting to Jerusalem will not be a problem; your problem will be getting back to the port. In order to be in time to your ship you must leave Jerusalem no later than 17:30-18:00. You'll have to find a taxi that will take you to Ashdod and on that time the price should be 290NIS since it is Friday evening. Your main problem will be getting to your ship from the gate of the port since your taxi coming from Jerusalem will not be permitted to enter the port. If you'll schedule your return to between 18:00-18:30 you'll be able to catch one of the ship excursions' busses in the gate. The guides of the ships' excursions are told to take passenger waiting in the gate back to the ship if the passed the security checks before and indeed we do that.

Enjoy

Moti

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Ashdod
Ashdod