We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and Mozzies

Stafford, United...
3 posts
Malaria and Mozzies

Is the area very prone to mozzies, and how is the malaria risk for the area

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

What area are you talking about?

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
851 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Probably Marloth Park, since they posted in that forum.....

It's in a "high risk" area, particularly from October to May, and you will need to take precautions against malaria.

Mozzies generally are all over SA. Even if you're not in a malarial area, if you're prone to come out in red blotches from their bites (like my wife!) you need to use some sort of repellant spray / lotion, wear long sleeves and trousers and avoid being outside at dusk / dawn.

Stafford, United...
3 posts
3. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Going To Marloth Park (Call Of Africa)

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Yes, Marloth park are is a lttle prone to mozzies, even malaria mozzies since Marloth park is right next to the Kruger park. But is not an epidemic at all.

But do not let that deter you, simply put on proper mozzie repellent at dawn and dusk when mozzies are most active.

We use a brand called Peaceful sleep (roll-on), which is sold locally everywhere. It is quite effective.

Also cover up your ankles and legs at dawn and dusk. Then you should be fine. Ankles is what mozzies like the most because of the abundance of blood in your ankles.

I - and many others - never take malaria medicine at all, despite having been to Kruger more than 100 times. These medicines make you quite sick. You do not really have to take it.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 11:04
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
5. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Depends what you mean by "prone". If you mean anything like the mozzies in Norway and Sweden in the height of summer, then not even close.

But it does depend on rainfall.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 12:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,493 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

"These medicines make you quite sick."

Navigator31 - That comment is not only wrong, it is misleading and could potentially cost someone their life, should they avoid taking malarial medicine, and get bitten.

Some people may get a reaction to some medicines, but they are in the minority. And in any case, a slight side-effect to a medicine, is preferable to malaria.

Living in a malarial country is different to visiting it for a short holiday. To say you don't take medicine is fine for you - you have been brought up on how to avoid getting bitten, but few visitors have.

Bigwebbs - as well as taking local advice on where and when malaria occurs, you also need to take medical advice from a medical professional. No-one on here is able to give you medical advice. They can tell you what happened to them, but that doesn't mean it is relevant to you.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

I have to agree with peterscot.

Merloth park is in high risk area, see map:

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/…risk_maps.htm

and prophylaxis is recommended.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane Guest Lodge-

Hazyview

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
8. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

"High" risk is relative. The DoH map does not use the word "High".

The latest published scientific studies show that the risks of developing serious complications from modern malarial prophylaxis is around 1 in 2,000 cases. The risk of catching malaria, specifically in the Kruger Park area, is around 1 in 11,000 if no prophyxis is taken and around 1 in 25,000 if prophylaxis is taken. Both these figures are reduced significantly to very low risk during the winter months.

All these risks are tiny compared to the risk in African Countries such as Malawi, Kenya or Tanzania and around the same risk of injury in approximately two weeks normal driving. The risk of death is much higher from road accident than malaria as prompt treatment is nearly always successful.

As peterscott says you should always check with a medical professional who understands your medical history as certain people will have much higher risk from medical conditions. It is also critical that you talk to medical professionals who know specifically conditions in South Africa and not only your local GP who probably has little idea of the regional differences and certainly no idea where Marloth Park is!

Edited: 14 October 2010, 21:52
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Naja,

it definitely is higher than low risk.

Klaus

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Malaria and Mozzies

Peter Scott, please stop making comments about my postings. You have done this on more than one forum.

Nobody is interested in what you have to say about my postings.

If you disagree with any posting, simply state your views and give any facts you regard as relevant in a new posting. This way you can convince other readers without trying to belittle others.

Do not refer to other postings in a negative way when making your own, it is extremely rude.

I stand by what I said in the earlier posting. But naturally, this is my view. It does not mean anybody has to follow my example.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Marloth Park
Recent Conversations