We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porter Creek Winery

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
184 reviews
Porter Creek Winery

Has anyone been recently or know anything about them? The last reviews was in April and their website says "new website coming soon". I've emailed them last week with no response. This looks like a small and cozy winery that my in-laws would enjoy on our visit to the area on Labor Day.

9 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,812 posts
6,430 reviews
1. Re: Porter Creek Winery

Porter Creek winery is in the Westside area. This is a nice area for wine tasting just west of Healdsburg.

There are numerous wineries on this road, and given that you have decided that is where you want your inlaws to taste it works. But there are many others on this road too such as Gary Farrell (nice redwood views), Arista (nice picnic area), Mill Creek and so forth.

If they like Porter Creek winery its fine to go there Its not my top 5 wineries for Westside Road, but all are nice for an outing. Each their own. How did you select Porter Creek? type of winer? etc. to give additional suggestions in this area.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 22:39
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
705 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Porter Creek Winery

Porter Creek is a very quaint place to visit. They have free range chickens ( the fancy kind that books showcase in photographs) running around and the tasting room is right in the vineyard. However, it is very small; there was barely room for the other 3 people in the building and us, and there were only 2 chairs on the patio. So not much room to really relax. The Chardonnay seemed to be the "pick of the day" when we visited, and the servers were very well informed about the products. Not sure I care to go back, but it was a satisfactory experience.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
184 reviews
3. Re: Porter Creek Winery

I honestly can't remember how I fell upon it, I had been doing so much research and reading on options. My in-laws prefer a smaller venue, and this just looked cute and quaint. There is one right there that my MIL did request, Thomas George, and I just thought it would be easy to hit both. Certainly can be talked in our out of it.

Mini - I will also look at your suggestions, thank you! And thank you amy e for your feedback as well.

I am not a chardonnay fan at all..........definitely reds for us all I would say.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Porter Creek Winery

I was there yesterday! Nice family owned winery with good tasting room staff. Tasted all on the list and found them to be very good wines. There were 3 whites and 5 reds to taste when we were there. It is small, but you can go outside and sit on the patio with your tasting. I would recommend a stop here! I also like Red Car by Graton and Hook & Ladder in Santa Rosa for small wineries with good reds.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
999 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Porter Creek Winery

I think I may have recommended this one to you before, so you may have already looked into it and decided against (or found they were not available on the day you wanted), but I think MoniClaire Vineyards would be a good choice. It's a very small, family-owned winery, where you would be served by the owners/winemakers. They don't have a long list of wines, but they make a couple different Zinfandels, Petite Sirah, and they do a little bit of Sauv. Blanc, I think.

If you get an appointment, it would most likely be a tasting on the deck of their home (if the weather cooperates), which is set on a hill overlooking their vineyards and the broader Dry Creek Valley beyond their vineyards. So, it doesn't get much more intimate than that. They do have a tasting room building, but they rent it out via AirBnB, so tastings are more likely to be in their home. On the other hand, if Zin and Petite Sirah are not to your taste, it might not be the best for you.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
184 reviews
6. Re: Porter Creek Winery

Yes, I do recall and I did look in to that one. Price is also a factor here with them, as this is the first time trip of the like for them.........We've tried to warn them that unlike wineries in Wisconsin, tastings are not free. LOL I'll look that up again. It might have been the price.

I'm also struggling with trying to bunch the visits fairly close together so we aren't wasting so much time in between.

We are starting at 10am at Alexander Vineyards where we do have an appointment. Anything after that can be changed around. We are ending up at Embassy Suites in Napa.

Alexander Valley

Porter Creek?

Thomas George

Kunde (this is one I liked the looks of)

Gundlache (also on my list, but I can see no time)

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
999 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Porter Creek Winery

That can make a difference. We didn't worry too much about tasting fees, as we were buying wine most of the places we visited, and almost all of our tasting fees were waived. (But we spent quite a bit on wine. It was a splurge trip.)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
184 reviews
8. Re: Porter Creek Winery

I don’t mean to make them sound cheap, just that this will be a bit of sticker shock for them. LOL. Just trying to keep it down a bit. We are doing the wine train the following day, tho.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
184 reviews
9. Re: Porter Creek Winery

For those that have been to Porter Creek - did you have reservations or just stop in? I haven't rec'd an email reply, so maybe we will wing it and stop since we want to do Thomas George anyways. If it works out, great. If not, we move on.

Reply to: Porter Creek Winery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sonoma County