We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Langkawi

I will be traveling to Langkawi with my husband and 2 year old daughter early March 2012. We have never been there and would like to know where in Langkawi is the best place for a family beach vacation on a budget, less than $50 a night. We would like to stay in a bungalow on the beach that is not full of discos but has ample places for safe food. As we will have a toddler with us, a pool would be an awesome bonus! I would like to know what part of the island I should look into as well as any hotel recommendations. We like to hang out in laid back bars and eat good food and have interesting conversations.

Thanks!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi

Hi

Look at hotels in the Pantai Cenang area such as AB Motel, Tropical Resort, Malibest, Langkawi Lagoon and Frangipani as they may be suitable for you.

Lesley

Down Under
Level Contributor
643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi

Sorry, I do not believe you will get a pool for a budget of $50 a night, there are some very nice bungalow type accommodation in Paitai Cenang, the Tropical looks nice or the Malibest, but fairly sure these will not have a pool. I think you may have to increase your budget if you wish to have a pool available. Maybe you could try the Federal Villa, they are a bit cheaper than your average resort and you are able to have the use of the pool next door at the Holiday Villa,which is fantastic. You will not be hassled by "discos" in Langkawi, it is not a huge nightlife place, if you choose Pantai Cenang or Pantai Tengah for your accommodation you will not be dissappointed in all the choices for food.

goodluck

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,927 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi

Dear Alice,

life is a compromise: check out any place around that fits your budget even if they have no pool or are not right on the beach (incl. Pondok Keladi and Fox Hill).

Frangipani is very tolerant in guests using their pools as long as you consume a bit on the bar.

The Lanai is for sure not the best on the island but the location is superb (careful swiming in the ocean here as there can be a very strong current)

One of my favorite is Beach garden but it might be slightly above your budget.

Come back for further discussion here if you get confused..

Eva

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions! I was afraid that my hopes for a pool with my budget would be impossible. My research continues, but with better direction because of you. Please keep sharing if anything else comes to mind! :)

Thanks again!!!!

Do you know how the mosquito situation is in Langkawi?

Down Under
Level Contributor
643 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi

My boys got a couple of mozzie bites, but nothing to what we are used to in Australia :) most places have mozzie coils that they light to ward off any mozzies and you can buy repellent over there.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 12:49
MELBOURNE
Level Contributor
48 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi

We went to Phuket last year and are now looking at langkawi but no very little about it, we want somewhere right on the beach with restaurants and shopping near by but not busy busy... Need resort facilities, budget around $100 a night. 2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 14. Looking to go in September/October. Any suggestions? Is it like Phuket with the cheap food and massages etc?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi

Hi

Pelangi Beach may suit your requirements as you have kids and it is a very kid friendly hotel in walking distance to lots of restaurants, shops and bars.

Langkawi is nothing at all like Phuket. There are options for cheap food and massages but being a Muslim country, you will not get the beach massages like in Phuket but there are numerous spas around the island.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi

@viewtravel - pelangi is likely to be outside of your budget. i think you should look at holiday villas on p.tengah since you need resort facilities.

@alice - if you are prepared to forego the pool - the cabin and casa fina would be suitable. if a pool is a must, then look at the fave hotel which is newly opened. although the reviews are not great.. and, as eva said, pondok keladi. although no pool, and a little way from the beach, it has the laid-back vibe you want.

pam

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi

Hi, What about the Asenenia, the rooms are not that good, but they have a fantastic big pool, and one for todlers too, its not on the beach but a very short walk and you will be there, and close to shops, bars, restaurants etc.

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi

I was informed by another TA that Langkawi is over rated, over priced and environmentally irresponsible with water pollution. And the jellyfish situation is a major concern. All this causes me to rethink my choice of Langkawi as a desirable place to visit.

Do any of you have opinions on this matter? Are there other better beach destinations you can suggest????

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Pantai Cenang
Recent Conversations