We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
594 posts
53 reviews
Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

We had planned on doing a snorkelling trip on our trip. After reading of mixed reviews of the day trip to Pulau Payer I don’t think that would suit us. Christmas Crowds, daughter with Wheelchair and Expensive.

Is it possible to hire a local or a tour to take you somewhere else to snorkel.

Our next trip is to Espiritu Santo Vanuatu where the snorkelling is amazing so if it is only average in Langkawi we probably won’t bother. Again, I am grateful for you advise.

I will comment on the positivity and helpfulness on the forum compared to some I frequent.

4 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
241 reviews
1. Re: Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

Hi

Personally I would wait and do the snorkelling on your next trip as you may well be disappointed with Langkawi.

The only decent snorkelling is at Pulau Payar, There is nothing around the island as there are no coral reefs.

The only other alternative is to take a trip to Koh Lipe in Thailand where you can snorkel from the beaches but that trip would involve a crowded ferry, which I am sure you wish to avoid.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
594 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

Thanks Steady, That is kind of what I thought, more time to shop and relax in those bars on the beach.

My husband takes heaps of gear, dive belts cameras etc so if not worth it he can leave that at home.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
241 reviews
3. Re: Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

Definitely leave his diving gear at home for this trip. More room to put your things in his suitcase!!!

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer

Dear Kath,

Solom Islands, Vanuatu, Papua NG, Tobago and ABC in the Caribbean have been my personal highlights for diving and snorkeling. But when I came to Langkawi (y boat) I wanted to stay for 2 weeks and basically just stock up. That is now almost 14 years ago. Langkai'w beauty is on the water but certainly above the waterline. The scenery around the 99 islands is truly spectacular. The water is very nice for a swim and we have no sharks or crocs here but sometimes jelly fish.

Do give this island a chance!

Eva

Reply to: Snorkelling options other then Pulau Payer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pantai Cenang
Recent Conversations