We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which boat?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Which boat?

Hi- i would like to know if anyone can suggest a good, safe fast boat that leaves from padang bai going to gillis t?

13 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,404 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which boat?

look at the island promotions travel web site i linked you to on your previous post about fast boats. they only list boats which list full western international safety standards, have properly trained crew and offer insurance etc. There are fast boats on that site which will leave from padangbai. There are lots of fast boats and there have been a few which have sunk so be a bit cautious and look at the safety standards.

padangbai
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which boat?

hi,

there are many fast boats from padangbai going to the gili`s..

best is to go to padangbai and check them out , and book there, is much cheaper then when you book up front in another place..

it`s anyway nice to stay in padangbai for a few days before or after you go..

greetz omang

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which boat?

I have travelled happily on Wahana, Sea Marlin and my current favourite, the new one Marina Srikandi. I like this one because it is fast, cheap (I paid 270k each way), stops in Gili Air (the others only stop in Trewangan) and because last week when I travelled back in mildly rough seas, the captain was very cautious, slowed right down going through swells instead of BAM BAM slamming through them. My friends who were on another boat at the same time commented that they had a rough ride. But I thought it was fine (I have been on some very rough rides across Lombok strait so I know how jolting that can be).

The boat that sank was Eka Jaya, and the worst ride I ever had was with them, so I will never travel with them again. There is a thread on this forum posted by someone who was on that boat and the crew were apparently terrible.

Marina Srikandi office is not by the fast boat jetty like most of them, but next to the ATM/bank on the main entrance road. Just next to where the Perama boat office/bus stop

Have a lovely time in Gilis!

Edited: 25 March 2011, 18:43
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which boat?

Hi thanks,

your information is very useful.

Can I check whether it is wise to only buy the tickets when I am there in Bali,

rather then online right now? Would I face a price extortion in the last minute?

What is your advise? Where is the harbour? Can I also get tickets at Benoa?

Also, I've read very seriously disturbing review on lonely planet about

Marina Srikandi with online booking experience. They refuse to ride someone to Gili Meno when she clearly had a printed ticket to that place

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which boat?

Hi,

is it really cheaper to go to Padangbai in the last minute to buy the tickets

rather than book online upfront. We just don't want to ruin our holidays later

by facing difficulty in price extortion.

Is Padangbai near to Kuta? Can we purchase two way tickets to and back from Gili easily at reasonable rate? What is the rate to expect?

Thank you very much for your answer

Redmond, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Which boat?

Never use Marina Srikandi

just look:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g664667-d215…

Terrigal, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which boat?

i've used gili cat a numbr of times. they are well organised and go through saftey procedures on board. they dont leave if the seas are too rough. check their website regarding safety standards.

there are a number of fast boats leaving for padangbai. some charge different prices due to various differences in standards onboard.

if you go to padangbai to get a ticket, it seems to be cheaper but you have then paid for transport to get to padangbai. the price of the ticket includes hotel pick up and drop off in bali. so it may not be a bargain.

the boats have limited seating. so if you arrive to get a ticket you may not get one. once i had to wait till the following day. if this happens don't despair, padangbai is a nice place to stay.

Ubud, Indonesia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which boat?

DO NOT USE MARINA SKIKANDI!!! It is the most unpleasant, unprofessional, unreliable, unfriendly company I have meet in Bali. Boat was late, the booking was a mess for all of us (3 different families) and they wanted to charge us the ticket again, they let us on the way back in the middle of Ubud instead dropping us of in the pick up point as promised over the booking, their shuttle didn't have the seats for all the booked in persons and they were very very rude and unpleasant. Just don't go there, so many other companies that you can use, just skip tho one you don't really need to be treated so badly when you are the paying customer.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which boat?

That company just keeps on pleasing people.

The best boat to use is made of aluminum, has wings fixed to it and is parked at the airport.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which boat?

We used marina and was fast with no issues. Stay a day or two in padang bai its cool, and book with a street seller, only pay 400 return or less!

Reply to: Which boat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted