We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Gundam Robot

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Giant Gundam Robot

Hello!!! I'm visiting japan the next week. do you know where the Giant Gundam Robot is presented nowadays?? Thanks!!!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

It's in Odaiba: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-22/lif…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,383 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

Hello. The cited Gundam Front theme park in Odaiba has its own homepage.

http://gundamfront-tokyo.com/en/

By the way, Gundam is not a robot, it's a mobile-suit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

Thanks for your help!!! I'm looking this robot.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139218.stm

examiner.com/article/tokyo-gundam-giant-robo…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,383 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

Yes, they are usually mistaken for robots, but Gudam series (or the original first Gundam at least) began as antithesis to the stereotypes of robot animes. They are supposed to be military machines operated manually or by "new-type" psychic powers, so they are not automated robots. So the hard core fans would snap at you that "they are not robots, they are mobile-suits!".

Unlike the typical robot anime:

1) There is no clear distinction of the "good"-side and the "evil"-side.

2) The antagonists' machines are often superior (and look better). Gundam RX78 was designed as a compromise to the sponsors that scrapped the initial ideas and required at least a robot resembling a goodie hero (with two eyes and a mouth) in bright colors.

3) The most popular character is the chief antagonist.

4) Under-aged civilians become soldiers incidentally, and they can't see a reason why they should be ordered to fight. However, they slowly grow up to find their own reasons. War is not drawn as a fight among goodies and baddies.

5) It's not so clear who won over whom in the end.

But anyway, you don't have to take these things seriously. Yes, the "robot" is in Odaiba now. There is also a Gundam Cafe in Akihabara, although I don't know what's there apart from hard-core Gundam geeks.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 20:55
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

WOW!!! Yobeekool You know so much about!!!

Thank for your internesting help!! I'mm not a huge fan for the anime as my cooworkers here in Mexico, but I've always liked Robotech and that amazing robot is, for me, a MUST SEE!!

Other question. I've seen that the robot turns some ligths at nigth, doy you know what time is that "show"??

Thanks!!! again!!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,383 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

According to their website:

On weekdays: 12:00, 15:00, 17:00 (each 5 minutes);

19:30 (with screen "Gundam stands atop Tokyo", 7 min); 20:30 (5 minutes)

Sat/Sun/Hol 12:00,15:00,17:00 (each 5 minutes); 19:30 and 21:00 (with screen "Gundam stands atop Tokyo", 7 min); 20:15 (5 minutes).

My big brother used to make lots of plastic models of mobile-suits of Gundam (Zak-II; Gelgoog; Dom; Gouf, etc), and I would make him very upset by breaking them.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 21:28
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

HAHAHA, I could'l imagine that my friend!!

I'm traveling to Kokyo tomorrow!! wish me luck!!

8. Re: Giant Gundam Robot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:10