We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day out in Omenga and Orta

Bristol
Level Contributor
174 posts
65 reviews
Day out in Omenga and Orta

I plan to take the bus from Intra to Omenga. Whilst in Omenga I want to see the Sant'Ambrogio Church, the 15c bridge and the 11c Porta della Valle.

1) Are these within easy walking distance?

2) The bus stops at Piazza Beltrami and Dogna, Which stop do I need?

I then plan to catch the 11.40 ferry which runs on Thursdays to Orta.

3) Is the ferry stop obvious from the church, bridge and gate mentioned above

From Orta I understand there are 10 minute ferries to Isola San Giulio.

4) Can we simply visit the Basilica or do we have to book or make any prior arrangements?

5) Once back in Orta - can I get a taxi back to Intra or does this have to be booked. If I can go to a rank - can you tell me where it is. I

5 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Day out in Omenga and Orta

Hey Judy, these sites are all in walking distance you should expect about 40 minutes of walk to check all these sites. Piazza Beltrami should be the closest to the center of omegna. The ferry stop is on the west side of the lake, the opposite of piazza salera.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Day out in Omenga and Orta

Omegna

You should get off at Piazza Beltrami. Sant'Ambrogio in right there, just beside the bus stop. The Porta Romana /Della Valle is just a couple of minutes up the road.

The Ponte Antico is about 15 / 20 mins walk from here, the last bit is through the woods. There's a small church just before you get to it - Madonna della Neve al Ponte Antico.

To get the the lake, you need to go back to Piazza Beltrami. You can't see the lake from here, but make a right down the narrow shopping street and you'll come out the other side at the lake.

Thursday is market day, so the town will be very busy.

Side note: try the local speciality 'imperialine' biscuits - the best ones come from pasticceria Airaghi, at the end of the shopping street on the right.

Orta

Yes, the boats to the island are very frequent. You don't really need to prebook anything.

Orta back to Intra

This is a little tricky. There is no direct route back. You need to make your way back to Omegna and then get the bus back from there. You can do this by ferry, bus or train ( but note that the train station is a 15 min walk from the centre of Orta)

There are no taxi ranks, unless you are very lucky and catch one dropping off a customer, you would need to prebook or call one.

Hope this helps :-)

Bristol
Level Contributor
174 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Day out in Omenga and Orta

Thanks for this. I posted the question for a trip from Intra to Orta in 2016, but never actually made it. With this info I will give it a go this summer.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: Day out in Omenga and Orta

Better late than never:-) I followed up on comment #1 and didn't notice the date on yours!

In any case, if you leave Intra early enough you'll be able to do everything you want with public transport.

Hope you enjoy.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,859 posts
5. Re: Day out in Omenga and Orta

An alternative route back would be to get the summer bus from Orta San Giulio to Stresa safduemila.com/files/2017.6.11-9.10-stresa-a… then boat or bus safduemila.com/files/2016.11.21-2017.6.10-vb… from Stresa to Intra.

Edited: 20 May 2017, 03:16
Reply to: Day out in Omenga and Orta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Omegna
Recent Conversations