We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orpanhages near Travellers

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Orpanhages near Travellers

Can anyone tell me of any of the orphanages near the Travellers please.

Going out very soon and would like to do a few days volunteerring if possibe.

Thanks

plymouth england
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

You are not allowed ( or shouldn`t be) able to just "turn up" to volunteer

All volunteers have to be vetted and the home expects a fee to help with running costs ..

However , you can visit a childrens home then ask the Manageress if you can come back again as a day visitor for one or two days.

You cannot stay overnight ... if you do the home is breaking the rules ..

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Wow, :( of course I know that I can't just turn up and help that is why I wanted to get some info so I could get in touch with some before I go but I did not expect to have to pay a fee for helping !!!!!!!!! even if it is just for a day.

plymouth england
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Please do not feel offended by my post. . I have also sent you a PM ,

But most Childrens homes rely on Paying Voluntering. . ..

You should not be expected to pay for a day visit at all --- to ANY children`s home other than the transport to get there or sometimes with the unscrupulous beach boys who want to charge you ..( avoid at all times)

some homes will ( and do) expect a small "fee" if you stay for longer or a "contribution" towards the food bill .....

There are some homes who will allow you to visit each day of your holiday to interact -help with homework or simply muck in ...but these are far and few.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Offering help here for a couple of days for free dont expect to get free transport to and from.

If I have to pay to give my help for more than one day then I wil only offer a days help.

Telford, Shropshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

It's expected that if you stay for a full day at a home volunteering, then you should pay towards your food. Otherwise, your help is counter-productive if you eat the schools food.

I don't think Edna was trying to upset you, just pointing out some information you should have before you go. It would be a shame if you only offer one day, think of the help the children will be missing out on.

edited for spelling

Edited: 02 March 2012, 00:16
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Nicki - the orphanage I support asks for £10 per day towards food and other costs. The never used to ask for help but the rising cost of food means they have to. They struggle to find the money to feed the children and visitors are just another mouth to feed. They get no state support and there are so many children who are orphaned. For this reason Its also not unreasonable to pay transport and any other associated costs.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

I know Min I wont be eating there anyway dont eat lunch dont need it but just wanted to be able to go in and read etc to them and play games or is that not the norm I wanted to know about the orphanges so I could get in touch with them before I go to arrange things with them.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,583 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Nicki,

there are suggestions of reputable orphanages in the area (tend to be more the Mtwapa / Kikambala area) in the FAQ on the right, though DD may have recommended some in her PM.

I think you are coming this month, so If you want to go and play, you should be aware that the kids are at school at the moment so many may be at classes during the day. Another good reason for arranging in advance

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Thanks Doff now applied to a couple fo the schools/orphanage and will await and see what they say.

mombasa
Level Contributor
38 posts
10. Re: Orpanhages near Travellers

Hi,

Just be patient and write to the homes and schools, am sure you will find something to suit you, apart from children homes, there are primary schools which would be glad to get your services ie teach English, maths, play football etc the nearest homes to your hotel are shanzu orphans homes, tumaini located at bamburi, S.O.S at nyali, and many others around shanzu and bamburi which is the location near your hotel. the schools include shimolatewa . How long will you be at the hotel? if you take the hotel bush tour which is the village tour, you will get more information on schools and homes, because the tour takes you to villages around your hotel and you can talk to them direct.

Get answers to your questions about Bamburi
Recent Conversations