We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I phone use

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
I phone use

Can someone tell me how I go about using my I phone abroad to skype etc

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: I phone use

For Skype calls you will need to hook up to a Wi-Fi network, the same way you do at home. For Skype chat, best to buy a Safaricom (or Orange) micro-SIM and use the 3G network when Wi-Fi is not available.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: I phone use

Thanks can these be purchased easily and how much roughly that means diff sim card right

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: I phone use

Very easily, normally from the airport. Around 100KSH for a sim which is less than a quid. Just make sure your phone is unlocked, i.e. can be use on any network.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: I phone use

Just make sure that you let them know if it's an iPhone 4 or later, because some places don't sell micro-SIMS - and they won't know unless you tell them. A lot of these places are not techno-savvy at all.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,577 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: I phone use

I'm not an iphone person but I understand you / they can cut a standard sim down to fit an iphone, which would mean you could keep your current number if you already have one.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: I phone use

I had no problem buying a micro-Sim for my unlocked iPhone4s as the tiny Safaricom shop at JKiA, Nairobi earlier this month. The same guy got my laptop dongle up and credited and running again too, all in five minutes at 6.45am for about 50p.

Safaricom customer service is consistently brilliant, in my experience.

Richard

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
7. Re: I phone use

Pretty much agree with above but the most important part is what Leeds Mad said that your phone must be unlocked. If you are with Orange at home, Kenya Orange over here won't work if your phone is locked to Orange UK for example.

I am close to Bamburi Beach and personally find that Safaricom works best. Others will have their favourites.

All you have to do then is decide how much data you will use.

You can buy an unlimited data package with Safaricom which lasts 7 days for 1000/-.

30 days costs 3000/-.

Or there are various packages such as 1.5 gb of data for 999/- which lasts 30 days. Obviously if you use the data within the 30 days you have to top up.

Others packages for more or less data are available at varying prices.

Not looked at Orange pricing recently but believe they have similar types of packages.

Kevin

Edited: 28 February 2012, 18:10
Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: I phone use

I just cut my standard SIM down with a carving knife, following a template that I found online. Works fine too!

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: I phone use

Thanks getting phone unlocked over here :)

10. Re: I phone use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:11
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi
Recent Conversations