We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

I am traveling to Sarova Whitesands on Half Board Basis in Mid-September, wife is strict Vegetarian, do they have good Veggie food choice?, What’s is the Wifi service at the Hotel and What are the drink Prices. Any info will be helpful

Regards

NR

Mentioned in this post
Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa
Sarova Whitesands Beach...
1,478 Reviews
Bamburi, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Hi NR,

Do they have good Veggie food choice?

Yes- they have a good selection of veg indian curries on the buffet table. As they get a very large clientele of Indians compared to other hotels at the coast.

What’s is the Wifi service ? Not sure.

What are the drink Prices ? Not exactly sure, upto GBP 1.00 for Soft drinks & GBP 1.50 for Beers.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 15:18
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

WIFI Internet connection to connect G phones or LapTopo to access Internet emails etc

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Yes - you're in luck. They have "Wireless Connectivity" in public areas available for surcharge.

www.sarovahotels.com/whitesands/business

hotelsone.com/mombasa-hotels-ke/…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Hi,

I haven't stayed at Whitesands but I use its business centre sometimes, it is one of only two 5 star hotels on the North Coast, so I'm sure it will be able to cater for whatever you want. There is a significant Indian presence in Kenya and particularly on the North Coast, especially in nearby Nyali. There are also lots of Indian guests at most of the North Coast hotels not just Whitesands, the booming Indian economy took up a lot of the slack here when European bookings dropped because of he credit crunch. Whitesands does Asian food, and there is a good Indian restaurant close by in Travellers Beach and another popular with some but personally i was disappointed.

I know from the business centre, (where they have internet connected pcs, printers, etc) that they have wi-fi that covers the whole site (which is considerable). I have been in the business centre when people have come into arrange / pay for it.

I think Stef is underestimating the cost of drinks, I haven't bought them personally but most of the hotels are in the 300 to 400 shilling band for an alcoholic drink (£2 - £3.75) so I would expect Whitesands to be at the upper end of this range

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Doff - i don't think a a small bottle of Coke will cost more than KES 100.00 & a Tusker for KES 200.00. Otherwise, it would be complete "rip-off" !!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

If we are talking about hotels here the going rate for a bottle of tusker beer at the hotel we stay at four star -( I think White sands is more expensive on a par with Diani Reef ) it is 250 khs when I was out in June - I don't drink it but a friend does and a soda at the hotel is 120khs.

I do know the Diani reef is more expensive as we sometimes go to Fins restaurant for lunch and you are talking around 350 khs for a beer and around 200kh khs for a soda.

Most hotels will charge this ( i.e. the price at our hotel) on the Diani coast unless you go to somewhere local where obviously drinks are cheaper..

I would agree with Doff that at Whitesands they would probably charge at the higher end of the scale.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 17:30
Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Stef,

I agree about the coke but a beer at a local bar on Bamburi Beach is getting on for 200/- these days, (its 195/- in Kahama Sports Bar, similar in Cheers, 190/- in my local in Mtwapa) hotels are always much more expensive, they were around 250 to 300/- when a beer in a local bar was around 130/-, as the bar prices have increased by around a third, I assume hotel prices have also increased by a similar amount. and a glass of wine or spirits was always a little more expensive that beer. Hence my assumption that an alcoholic drink would be in the range 300 to 400/- in a 5 star hotel

Mentioned in this post
Bamburi Beach
Bamburi Beach
368 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Kahama Hotel
Kahama Hotel
180 Reviews
Bamburi, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

That's why, i prefer staying in a "All Inclusive."

The "Drinks Bill" can be really difficult one to control. As much as you try to budget, just always overshoots the mark.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,281 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

<<The "Drinks Bill" can be really difficult one to control.>>

I can handle the Bill. It's me legs that let me down!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarova WhiteSands - Wifi and Drink Prices

Must be costing you an arm and a leg then mfuwe.

Personally we don't go AL as it is not worth it for us.

We budget per day and my husband is good at this.

I am sure some posters will agreee that if off on safari or out of the hotel AL is not for them or for us personally.

We go a long safari then AL would be pointless and also try different places for lunch if out and about.

If in the hotel we tend to pay the bill weekly in order to keep tabs on what we have eaten for lunch and drunk - I mainly take sodas throughout the day as does my husband so we roughly know what to budget for.

I eventually got a review put on for the African Pot at Ukunda and surprisingly they are very cheap for a soda 70khs and 120 khs for pilnser or tusker and food very reasonable.

A lot of the locals buy a mixer and quarter bottle of their tipple which obviously works out cheaper and sit and top up with that.

Mentioned in this post
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya
Get answers to your questions about Bamburi
Recent Conversations