We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable itinerary for a 1 week visit. Flying into Colombo and flying out of Mattala airport. I need help with my itinerary. This is what I'm thinking:

I'm arriving early morning to Colombo- taking a taxi to spend 1 day Sigiriya.....1 day Kandy...2 days Nuwariya Eliya... 2 days Ella..1 night close to Mattala airport.

I'm looking to enjoy the culture and the scenery of Sri Lanka...Should I spend more time any of the cities?

Any recommendations would be great!

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2017, 20:35

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Order is logical & do able.But what about this (reduced bases)

Kandy 2 nights, NE 2 nights, Ella 2 nights, Then Hambantota 1 night. Do a day trip to Sigiriya Rock & Dambulla cave temple as a day trip from Kandy.

Since you are staying 2 nights at Eliya try to visit Horton plains national park. Eliya is a good base for it.

BRgds

Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

I would skip Nuwara Eliya - there isn't much there except a post office, a nice lake area and a couple of British phone boxes. It really isn't worth staying two nights. Just drive through on the way to Ella. We spend 2 hours max. I'd spend another night up at sigiriya as its quite a distance to get up there. You could go to dambulla caves and polyarunna (sorry forgotten the spelling) if you like ancient temples or my recommendation would be pop down to yala or udawalawe national parks for a day or the south coast and see turtles or whales. Ella was lovely! Kandy we did in a day.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Oh thank you.. yeah it sounds like Kandy for one day... thanks for the suggestion on Nuwariya Eliya!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Is it safe to visit Kandy with the Dengue fever outbreak?

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Since you are taking precautions you are fine.Dengue is mostly reported from western province but not from central like Kandy. Please search the forum under 'Dengue' there are many threads on related to Dengue.

Thanks.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
460 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

I would have 2 night in Sigiirya area and cut off a night in Nuwara Eliya. As mentioned there is not a lot to do in NE and there things 2 to do for 2 days in and around Sigiriya.

cheers

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Hi

sorry to butt in. We are panning at visiting Srilanka for a week too sometime in January. Was thinking of one night in colombo, 2 nights in Sigiriya, 2 in Kandy and 2 Galle. what do you think?

where would you recommend to go snorkeling?

can one do Adams peak by staying in Kandy?

thanks in advance

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo

Unawatuna is closest beach to snorkeling in Jan other one is Hikkaduwa which is 20 km away from Galle.

AP season starts Dec full moon day so Jan is very much OK [after Kandy in your route]

BRgds

Reply to: 1 week visit to Sri Lanka, arriving in Colombo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted