We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maipu or Mendoza??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Maipu or Mendoza??

My husband and I will be coming from a few days in Rio and then a week in Buenos Aires and rather than stay in another city, were thinking of staying at a wine farm in Maipu (Posada Cavieres Wine Farm). However, everyone we know who has been to Mendoza has suggested staying downtown for access to bars/restaurants/nightlife. We are not big on the night scene, and wouldn't mind a tranquil stay at a quiet lodge, but I would love recommendations on Maipu vs Mendoza since of course it seems we'd need a car if we stay in Maipu and I'm not sure how much there is to do there (if anything). I've booked a hotel in each place and will cancel one of them.

1 reply
Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Maipu or Mendoza??

Since it seems you'll be in big cities for the first week and a half of your trip, and you say you aren't much for the night life, I think staying outside of Mendoza would be ideal. You can always hire a remise or take a bus into Mendoza if you need to. I wouldn't recommend renting a car unless you plan to do a lot of driving. Rental cars are very expensive and unnecessary in Argentina IMO, especially if you are going to be enjoying some wine, which you probably plan to!

Maipu itself is pretty residential and agricultural, not a lot of restaurants there. If you want access to restaurants within walking distance, but don't want to stay in Mendoza proper, I would suggest staying in Chacras de Coria (it is just to the west of Maipu). Small town, but still has some good restaurant options and even a little bit of shopping. Of course you could always stay in Maipu and have a remise drive you there as well. If you stay at the wine farm I'm sure your hosts will arrange a remise for you whenever you need it.

The wine farm you picked looks amazing. If you are looking for relaxation, that looks like a good option!

Reply to: Maipu or Mendoza??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maipu