We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

We're newbies to Door Co.. We are trying to decide where to stay. Both Sister Bay(Yacht Club) and Egg Harbor(Egg Harbor lodge) sound appealing. We prefer waterfront/view, adult friendly. My hubby might like to throw a(fishing) line in the water but doesn't necessarily have to be where we are staying. Does anyone have any input between these two lodging places or can offer other suggestions? Our budget is around $175-250 night, but we are taking into consideration that we will be spending time checking out the area as much if not more time than spending in our rooms.

Thank you!!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Have only stayed at Egg Harbor Lodge and that was a few years ago. Sister Bay Yacht Club is newer and puts you within walking distance of the shops and restaurants in the village. Good fishing right from the docks there as well. Sister Bay also has a nice boat rental place on the north side of town. The Egg Harbor Lodge will be a bit more of a walk into town but will be more secluded and quiet. Enjoy your trip.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,961 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Egg Harbor Lodge is on a bluff overlooking the bay. Sister Bay Yacht club is right on the water.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,961 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Maybe also look at the Country House in Sister Bay and the Harbor Guest House in Fish Creek.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Either location is good. With Egg Harbor being further south you'll have a little bit more of a drive to the other sights in DC, so just accept that. We used to stay in Egg Harbor a lot, now have migrated further north to SIster Bay/Ephraim. Rick's suggestions are good too. Do you want a more plush, newer room or is the room not as important as the location? Quiet grounds or closer to stores, restaurants for walking?

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

The two properties are very different. SB Yacht club is vacation condos, on the water. EH Lodge is a family owned 24 unit motel on the bluff overlooking the water. You will enjoy either property, but the condos will be very "condo-esque" while the family property will be friendly and more "local color". My friend Sarah owns the EH Lodge, she will be working the front desk when you get there.

All of the communities have a lot to offer, you will travel around while you are here. EH and SB both have several restaurants and bars for the evening.

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

Wow! Thank you all for such great information on these choices! Both sound so tempting but thinking my husband would really enjoy being able to fish at SBYC. Tough decision as both sound so good. Will probably make a return trip so we can try them both! Heard Door Co. can be addictive!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

He can also fish at the EH Marina, probably a half mile walk from EH Lodge.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 20:54
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

I'd suggest focusing more on the lodging. Even though you'll be out of the room a lot, it makes it a lot nicer to enjoy your surroundings. You'll be going all around Door County (trust me, that's the most fun) so decide which place you want to call home for a few days and you'll be happy with either location.

I'd say Egg Harbor has a more cozy, laid back feeling as it's a bit smaller and has more trees and a lusher landscape because of some of the hills. Sister Bay is generally a bit more open feeling, a tad more bustling, but this is getting REALLY nit-picking. Both have good choices of restaurants and shops.

The bigger issue may be availability. I'd check that first. BTW, say hi to BU for me. We spent a fair amount of time in your fair city when our daughter was choosing her college. She ended up at Marquette instead,but we liked Bradley too.

9. Re: Egg Harbor or Sister Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Door County