We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogas Del Toro

1 post
Bogas Del Toro

We went to the Bocas district last Spring 2015 which is full of beautiful pictures on the Web. What we found was an overpriced town, with poor food, and Carenero island had a rain so sewage was running down the trail into the oceans. Garbage bags were stacked up on the piers for one week at least. Our water tank had a screen to catch rainwater for drinking; with a pelican standing on top of it.

I think Bocas is a good place if you want to smoke Ganga, go surfing, and are under the age of 30. For those of us who live in Panama, it was a waste of time. Went to see the Red Frog Yacht Club since we are both members/commadores with international priviledges. Security met us on the dock and stated the Red Frog yacht club did not exist but we could take a tour of time -shares for $20 to get off of the boat. However, they have a really nice Marina with lots of yachts..

So for experienced World travelers over 50, I would skip this and go somewhere else; Playa Bonito or Playa Blanca on the Pacific side or Los Altos with black sand beaches. We were really disappointed.

3 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Bogas Del Toro

Ha ha ha, that's funny. Bocas ain't for everybody that is for sure, but seriously, as an experianced world traveler you would suggest two all inclusive resorts? You could not pay me to swim in the water in front of Playa Bonita. and speaking of overpriced bad food, The Westin Playa Bonita was probably the worst hotel food I have ever tasted. I am just curious but which part of Panama do you live in where they have great food?

Spokane, Washington
1 post
2. Re: Bogas Del Toro

We visited Bocas about three years ago and stayed at a B&B on Carenero Is. Unfortunately we were located near the Aqua Lounge which is a disco that thumps until dawn. Great if you're into club-ing, but why come all the way to Bocas for that. The beauty is in the nature of the area. I thought since we weren't right in Bocas Town and on a whole other island there wouldn't be the intrusion of the night life. Live and learn.....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Bogas Del Toro

Bastimentos is definitely the better island for a true Caribbean vibe but yes there's trash literally EVERYWHERE in Bocas. I enjoyed my time but people should definitely know about the trash before they go.

Reply to: Bogas Del Toro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island
More Carenero Island Topics