We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bug bites

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
bug bites

I have heard the bug bites on Isla Carneros in Panama are the worst. Does anyone know if Bastimentos or Solarte are better insect wise. Is it just Carneros that is really bad or are they all the same?

9 replies to this topic
Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bug bites

Carenero is not worse than Bastimentos or Solarte. There are areas with higher incidence of chitras (no-see-ums or sand flies) but it is rather associated with presence of mangrove, marshes etc and not particular island. I've been in places on archipelago where chitras are vicious compare to Carenero.

Chitras activity is more pronounced at morning and evening hours, during full moon, overcast and lack of breeze.

Insect repellents are working quite well and also protect you from other insects like mosquitos...

California
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bug bites

Thank you. The island sounds so nice. Did you like it?

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bug bites

Yes, I did, and I do.

It has pluses and minuses as everything else. Depending what part of the island you are on and what you like to do here...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bug bites

We are staying on Carenero right now. The first two days, when the sun was shining, we didn't have much trouble with Noseeums. . However, for the past few days sporadic rain and overcast skies has brought them out in droves. To the point where we feel we cannot leave our lodging. Deet is useless.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bug bites

You really need a repellent that is very oily and stays oily on your skin. Most aerosols do not. Skin so Soft and Cutters Advanced work well. They both come as pumps.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bug bites

I can only speak to the area around bibi’s restaurant. It is horrible. I have probably 100+ noseeum bites, and I never go out without long sleeves and long shorts or trousers. I finally resorted to adding socks and shoes to the list, even though it is very hot here. Eating at bibi’s and sitting both inside and outside of our accommodation led to the most bites. I judiciously sprayed strong deet on my feet and legs to no avail. They even bit the soles of my feet. It turned a lovely vacation into one where we could spend no time on the beach.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bug bites

Deet will do nothing for Chitres. You need something like skin cream or coconut oil (they probably have it on every table at BiBis. The Chitres are so small they drown in the layer of oil before they can get to your skin. Try it , it really does work miracles.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bug bites

bunky ... when you say you "judiciously sprayed strong deet" ... are you talking about spraying an aerosol? If so, it's no wonder. Take a good look at the ingredients and tell me what's the percentage of alcohol and the percentage of propellant. Aerosols are totally worthless when it comes to chitres. You might as well send engraved invitations to every chitre in Panama. I'm sorry you're feeling miserable. I know. Chitres love me and eat me. Every bite takes two weeks of misery to heal. So, get rid of the stupid aerosols and find something very oily in a pump or a bottle.

And, better yet, get the heck off of Carenero. It is THE most chitre infested island in all of Bocas del Toro.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 08:40
Maple Ridge, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: bug bites

Excellent ideas!

Thank you!

Reply to: bug bites
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island
More Carenero Island Topics