We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carenero or Colon?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Carenero or Colon?

My husband and I are headed to Bocas for the first time at the end of May and are not sure where to stay. We want to be on the ocean. We're not into the late-night scene, but active during the day and enjoy drinks and good food in the evening. Carenero sounds like a good fit for us, with only a short boat ride to Bocas Town. We are looking at the Buccaneer Resort and Blue Marlin Suites (Pickled Parrot Bar), but so few recent reviews are a bit concerning.

Also considering Koko in Saigon Bay. It sounds unique and we like the idea of being in a neighborhood.

Have read a lot of the discussions, but just don't see a lot about Carenero. Any advice to help us make a decision is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Buccaneer Resort
Buccaneer Resort
126 Reviews
Carenero Island, Panama
7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carenero or Colon?

We went to Bibis on the Beach, which is terrific, and the view outstanding, but we did indeed get bit by the no see-ems, and it was the only time we got bit on our whole trip, in late March. Very pretty spot though, for sure, and convenient. We ended up staying by bluff beach and cabbing into town as needed. We shared cabs most times and it didn't end up being a big deal. The beauty and nature and seclusion was very nice. I would do the same thing again, and just go for eats and drinks on Carenero. Just my thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Bibi's on the beach
Bibi's on the beach
897 Reviews
Carenero Island, Panama
Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carenero or Colon?

I would love to stay on Carnero but the no seeums would eat me alive. They don't bother everyone though. The boat ride from Pickled Parrot is not so short into town. Bad weather and after dark I would hesitate to travel on the water. There are parts of Carenero that are basically swiming distance from Bocas Town (don't do it too much boat traffic) but Pickled Parrot isn't it.

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carenero or Colon?

You may want to consider Bluff Beach on Isla Colon. Several places, Lodge to B and B's available. $10 taxi ride to town to consider though, if you want to town a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
Hornell, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carenero or Colon?

Are you saying that Carenero is not a good place to stay because of the nosemems???

Should we stay on colon?

Hornell, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carenero or Colon?

I agree. My husband and I are looking to stay in the area for a month. We are laid back tourists and would like to enjoy the area. We are not surfers. We want to get away and enjoy warm weather and beach. We would love hear from others as we also considering carenero.

Hornell, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carenero or Colon?

We are considering renting for a month on carenero island . What are you pros and cons to doing that?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carenero or Colon?

Carenero is pretty, but it was the onl place we got bit around Bocas. So, you have to decide whether the risk of the no-see-ums and itching would bug you enough to stay elsewhere. (couldn't resist the pun, sorry.) there are a lot o other great placesto stay, then you can just hop over there in a water taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Reply to: Carenero or Colon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island
More Carenero Island Topics