We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

edmonton
Level Contributor
79 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

hello we are looking at staying at bucanners resort and was wondering if anyone had some stories about transporting back and forth to boca town? how about the water taxi's to other islands? hassel?

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

Just returned from Caranero island and we never had a problem getting a water taxi. Just stand on the end of the dock or walk down to the Pickled parrot and flag one down. We never waitedl onger than 10 minutes.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

Just be careful at night. If you have to take a water taxi at night make sure they have lights.

edmonton
Level Contributor
79 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

Excellent thanks. Just one more quick question how is the island to stay at? I read a few things about Bucaneers that were not great, however it looks awesome. Is there a better place? We are just looking to do some sightseeing at other islands and chill under the sun .. I don't look for 5 star just something clean with a decent flush toilet, showers and a place to sleep.

thanks

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

I haven't stayed at Bucaneers. There are some beautiful places on Caranero Island, but anything that likes to chew on people love me the best. The no seeums on Caranero are to intense for me. Wish it was different becasue it is a beautiful place. I have to limit when and where I can go on Caranero.

Myrtle Beach, South...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

I am going next week and my friends booked reservations on this island...now I am concerned hearing about all the sand fleas and no seeums...

How is Casa Coco Loco? I have only been able to find on review.

Also...how late were you coming back on the water taxis? Do you have to make sure you get back to the island by a certain time?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

Carenero is notorious for chitras. More there than anywhere else I've been in the archipeligo.

It gets dark early and suddenly in Panama. About 6:30pm it will be lights out. The problem with water taxis is that very few of them have running lights, let alone spot lights, and they run fast -- even in the dark. As a result, there have been fatal accidents involving water taxis at night. Even if you do get into a water taxi with running lights, they won't help the skipper see the other guy who doesn't have them.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?

I have been taking boat taxis from Bocas to Isla Bastimentos, 3 times further than Carenero , 4 to 5 times a week, for the last 6 1/2 years, many times very late at nite and early morning and have never had a problem, neither have any of my guests at my resort. That said, the bugs on Carenero are horrible.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 07:31
Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Isla Bastimentos
Isla Bastimentos
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
Reply to: Bucaneers any water taxi hassels?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island