We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

Hello,

We are flying into David Airport at 2PM the day after Christmas. I am worried about being able to get a taxi for us (we'll have two surf board bags) and making the 6 PM ferry at Almirante to Carenero. I understand it's a 3 hour commute and I'm not sure if I need to book a taxi in advance to meet me at the airport OR will there be plenty there willing to make the 3 hour trip to Almirante? I do not want to take a bus. If anyone has a private taxi drivers number that would be great...A lot of the shuttles I contacted are quoting me over $600 round trip for both of us.

Once I get to Almirante, will there reasonably priced water taxis in case we miss the 6 PM ferry?

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Chiriqui Province, Panama
6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

The trip is more like 3 1/2 to 4 hours from the David airport to Almirante. There are taxis at the airport. How willing they are to spend the next 7-8 hours driving to and from Almirante, and whether they are willing to do it for less than $300 is anybody's guess. The only way you could book a taxi in advance is if you have a driver's phone number. Your other option is a shuttle or private driver.

6 PM is when the last water taxi leaves. And, they do not go to Carenero. They will take you to Bocas Town. From there, you'll have to take another local water taxi to Carenero, which is just a few minutes away.

I don't mean to sound like a doomsayer, but you might want to think about other alternatives, such as spending the night in David. Almirante is a not a place where I would be wiling to spend the night, and I seriously think that you stand a good chance of not getting there in time. You need to consider that it will take some time to get your luggage at David. They're not very fast in Panama. Also, it's going to take some time to get through David.

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

Thanks for taking the time to respond. So as it turns out my plane lands at 1:00 instead of 2:00. I was able to find a woman who runs a taxi company and I have a taxi truck lined up for pick up at David. She said I should be fine to get to Almirante before 6:00 if we leave before 2:00. Hopefully my flight is on time and I run into no issues.

Also, thanks for the tip on catching another water taxi from Bocas Town to Carenero. Hopefully we will be good to go! :)

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

The route between Panama and David is the most traveled by airlines in Panama, and they're usually on time. Which airline are you flying? Copa has better records than Air Panama regarding being on time, I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
David
David
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

I'm flying in on Copa

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

Then it's very likely you'll land on time.

Neuilly-sur-Seine...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero

Well done, would you kindly provide the phone number of that company ? And also what is the price that you obtained ?

Reply to: Need Help w/ Transportation from David-Almirante-Carenero
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carenero Island
More Carenero Island Topics
;