We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

FL
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Went on the Jaden Inc Ferry website today and there is a notice on their home page saying that they are Out of Service (dry dock) from Sept 16, 2016 until further notice. NOT GOOD -

going to be on Union island late October and was planning on doing DAILY island hopping via inter island ferry since it is cheaper than using boat boys - not sure if this can be accomplished now that Jaden is not running

any help would be most appreciative :)

16 replies to this topic
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Google MV Barracuda. Mailboat runs North from St Vincent and South to Union Island stopping at Mayreau and Canouan. Daily inter island flights SVD to Union usually stopping in Canouan along the way.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Also the Gem Star runs on different day than the Barracuda.

FL
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
3. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Thanks for the replies

I phoned MV Barracuda yesterday, was told they only go to Canouan and NOT Mayreau - bummer

might be able to swing going to canouan taking the barracuda then return on Gem star same day

gem star can get us to mayreau according to their website schedule; will have to get boatboy to return us to union I guess - we'll just go with the flow once we get there and take the path that the Lord provides, always works out in the end for us, love the suprises along the way too

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

OK if You want to go from Union to Mayreau that is easy to do via water taxis. They are always avail at the docks in Clifton or The Anchorage dock. About $50 US each way....nice if you can join up with others going to save some $. It only takes about 1/2 hour! As for the Barracuda not stopping at Mayreau.....ask when You are there. I have taken it a few times when it did stop at Mayreau.....maybe just not on the reg schedule. Unless something has changed they deliver the mail and pick it up there. Also they deliver freight, pick up empty bottles to transport to St Vincent etc. Often "real time" answers vary once "on island". Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 22 September 2016, 20:47
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Yes I remember Barracuda and GemStar both stopping at Mayreau, maybe by request only, but definitely ask.

NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

We will be in the Grenadines next May and hoped to take Jaden ferry from Bequia to Union. Any idea how long they plan to be out? Says for annual dry docking and maintenance. I would think they'd be done before next May.

Thoughts?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

If you observe the operation of the Jaden Sun you might conclude that is a marginal economic proposition. As such you should only expect lots of service when there are lots of people to move. And lots of down time when the paying customers are scarcer. This is just an observation I make.

As a consequence you might expect May to have limited service.

NJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

I'll just keep a watch on the ferry service. Looks like we can take the Gem Star to Union on the day we were wanting. Just need to ferry over from Bequia to St. Vincent. first.

Jaden would be much more convenient but if they aren't running, nothing we can do.

Also looking at the option of flying from Bequia to Union or St. Vincent to Union. As we get closer to the date I'll look at those options again.

KathyH

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

You need to ferry over and fly from St Vincent To Union. They have flights daily. Never saw a flight from Bequia to Union. The one from St Vincent will stop at Canouan and Palm if they have the Passengers wanting to go there.

uk
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan

Hi. It maybe too late for the OP but the Jaden Fast ferry is starting again from the 30th October

Reply to: Mail Boat from Union to Mayreau or Canouan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Union Island
More Union Island Topics