We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

Dear Readers, My day travel plan in July: Starting from Pitztal (Austria) driving to Stelvio Pass then to Torri di Foreale (upto Cancano dams) then to Umbrail pass finally reaching Pitztal again. I have few questions and many thanks in advance if someone can share his/her experience:

Q1: Do i need Swiss Vigenette to drive on Umbrail pass and then enter Austria?

Q2: Is there any Toll to pay for Stelvio pass or for Torri di Foreale?

Q3: There appears to be a lift available at Stelvio that goes to higher mountains, is it worth visiting?

Q4: Would you advise going to Cancano dams over Torri di Foreale pass?

Q5: Any suggestion on good restaurant on the way, may be at Stelvio or at Cancano dams (google earth shows a restaurant there but not sure if it is still open)?

Q6: As this will be the first time for me, are there any places where one must stop or visit may be on the route or nearby or anything i should know?

Many thanks and best wishes,

Qamer

4 replies to this topic
Bormio, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

Dear Qamer,

Do i need Swiss Vigenette to drive on Umbrail pass and then enter to Austria?

you need the Vignette just if you drive on highways, both in Switzerland and Austria

Is there any Toll to pay for Stelvio pass or for Torri di Fraele?

No, at moment there is no toll to pay neither for Stelvio nor for Torri di Fraele

There appears to be a lift available at Stelvio that goes to higher mountains, is it worth visiting?

There are cable cars taking you from Stelvio upto the Monte Cristallo at 3450 mt. This is a beautiful summer ski area and of course also offers you fantastic panoramas.

Q4: Would you advise going to Cancano dams over Torri di Foreale pass?

It's a wonderful area and you can make some nice hiking or mtb excursions. We suggest to go there, for sure!

Q6: As this will be the first time for me, are there any places where one must stop or visit may be on the route or nearby or anything i should know?

We suggest for sure to go to the Stelvio Pass (both for skiing and for hiking) and to pass on the Stelvio street. Bormio is a really nice town with an ancient history and art. Also Valfurva, Valdisotto and Valdidentro are really nice to visti. The area is in the heart of the Stelvio National Park, with lots of paths and valleys to hike and mtb. For bike lovers, Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo are very narrow. And, for relax, there are 3 thermal spacentres (Bormio Terme, Bagni Nuovi and Bagni Vecchi). Just to have an idea because there is a huge offer of activities and services.

Maybe have a look to the official web site of Bormio bormio.eu and, if you need any other help, write an e-mail to info@bormio.eu

Have a nice day

Consuelo

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

@Consuelo: Many thanks for reading the long questions list and for your detailed answers. Just a short question, i will be travelling by car is that an issue to go to Torri di Foreale in terms of road situation (is road wide enough for a car or if it is raining)?

England
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

I presume you mean the Torri de Fraele pass, I went that way, great drive.

Stelvio. There are Gondolas up to the skiing area but I prefer to walk up the other side to the Austrian Fort then turn right and have a short walk along the Swiss border, at my age/fitness short walk is my limit.

You only need a Swiss Vignette for Motorways and Trunk roads but when I had one it was only about 30 Swiss Francs for the calendar year, you can get a weekly one in Austria for about €8.

4. Re: Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2018, 23:40

Reply to: Stelvio-Tori di Foreale-Umbrail Passes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stelvio