We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near Stelvio Pass

Christchurch
4 posts
1 review
Staying near Stelvio Pass

Hi, a couple of friends and I would like to tick off cycling up Stelvio Pass, but on a map it looks like its kind of in the middle of no-where. Can anyone suggest a good place to base ourselves from to bike this yet not be based in a remote town??

3 replies to this topic
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
503 reviews
1. Re: Staying near Stelvio Pass

Lasa, Glorenza or Castelbello are small but all with their charm and very good places to stay or eat.

www.suedtirol.it

www.vinschgau.com

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,109 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Staying near Stelvio Pass

Or of course Bormio on the W side.

Note that right now the pass is still closed on the E side because of theavy snowfall.

Christchurch
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Staying near Stelvio Pass

Thanks Aussies11 and FF, I'll research into both of your posts.

FF - we are coming from the south of New Zealand to escape the winter so Stelvio had better be open with no signs of snow by the time we get there in July! :-)

We have not set plans as yet, but have 10 days allocated to cycling around this area and the mighty Stelvio Pass climb. Any other good cycle routes/climbs you can know of around that way? 80-100km rides are ideal, unless of course it's all uphill climbing, and then shorter lengths are just fine by me.

Reply to: Staying near Stelvio Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stelvio