We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Red Flags!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,810 posts
6,572 reviews
Restaurant Red Flags!

Just for a bit of fun this morning, there is a Thrillest article citing red flags that indicate restaurants that should be avoided. Some obvious and a couple of funny inclusions warnings make the list.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/restaur…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,334 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

Funny reading BradJill, thanks for the share.

We have two that are commonly avoided in Sydney - Any restaurants that revolve, and any restaurant that floats.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

Good list - I found it an interesting article to read.

Thanks for posting.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,299 posts
1,798 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

Yes, all good reasons to either avoid, or at least be attentive, and have OpenTable cued up on your phone, with Plan B, and maybe C.

Thanks,

Hunt

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

My family's been asked "are you sure you want to order that?"a few times in ethnic restaurants when it's been a more authentic- -or extremely spicy- dish ordered, so that one I think is a reasonable question. Or can be.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,810 posts
6,572 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

Have experienced similar experiences at Sri Lankan, Indian and Indonesian local restaurants in regard to the spiciness of the dishes. I actually have appreciated this effort to make sure patrons understand the heat expectations.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,138 posts
292 reviews
6. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

BradJill,

As always, thanks for the great share....

Kesh_grammy

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,299 posts
1,798 reviews
7. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

BradJill,

I learned a long time ago, to not walk into a Mexican, or Thai restaurant, and tell the kitchen to "turn up the heat!"

Love spicy food, but eschew pain...

Hunt

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

Just came across this when I click through some old threads... really fun read!

>>> We have two that are commonly avoided in Sydney - Any restaurants that revolve, and any restaurant that floats.

Oh, that's the same anywhere in the world... in fact, ANY gimmick-y place other than the FOOD being the gimmick should be avoided! Toilet restaurant, Prison restaurant, Planet Hollywood... etc. The only gimmick-y place I've had a somewhat decent (can't even say is 'good') is a dining in the dark restaurant and is quite expensive

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
409 reviews
9. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

@OLY, I won't call some as gimmick, novelty perhaps. Some can leads to a "total experience" thats being discussed in another thread here with respect to restaurant reviews.

A revolving restaurant is no difference from those advertising as restaurant with a view overlooking ocean or mountain, or a rooftop bar with a panoramic city view. To many tourists and myself included these venues can offer an experience that they seek while enjoying a meal; though I won't put that as the main criteria in choosing a restaurant over food but more as a bonus. Even in a non-revolving one given a choice often we would opt for a table near window or outdoor offering some views unless it is overlooking a slump; which you probably wouldn't have gone to anyway.

If you are a cat lovers you probably won't call cat cafes a gimmick, but a toilet themed restaurant is certainly one. I dont know whether to call naked restaurants or Nyotaimori gimmicks or erotical, guess it is all in your mind!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,886 posts
476 reviews
10. Re: Restaurant Red Flags!

I have had a superb meal on a floating restaurant, so I have to disagree with you to some extent, OLY. I think there's a lot of truth in what you say about gimmicks, they can detract form the food but there are exceptions.

Get answers to your questions