We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will you be eating in 2018?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
409 reviews
Save Topic
What will you be eating in 2018?

The food trend according to:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/food-trends…

Peruvian would be my choice if I can find them!

20 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,733 posts
6,411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

Sounds old school to me.

We have enjoyed pupusas for decades...

Peruvian food we have enjoyed for a long time.

So its an interesting article, and its interesting this trend is returning.

Thanks for posting.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

We have Peruvian here. I love yuca fries.

I already eat a lot of Middle Eastern, but one of our favorites just closed and another is moving-right now parking is really bad and we've had one too many close calls trying to park /leave in their too-small parking lot to go back until they've moved.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,574 posts
6,440 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

At this point there probably isn't much more 'truly new and different' out there when it comes to food and cuisine.

We can probably expect more recycling of old favourites when it comes to future food trends.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

I have been predicting Caribbean Food, for years.

So far, only Compère Lapin, in New Orleans, seems to be making that happen.

Maybe 2019?

Hunt

Edited: 15 December 2017, 10:25
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

Ahh, Compere Lapin, so proud if Nina for how she's brought her home flavors to the wider world.

Hopefully, more Caribbean chefs will find their way to the wider world, and bring our flavors to palates aroused the globe. It's not all here chicken! Lol..

I'd love to see Trini food get the recognition it deserves - doubles, dahl, pelau, lamb curries, roti, bake and shark, and so on. And the sauces, some are just amazing - the tamarind sauce or Mango chutneys, etc...

Or more Caribbean wide such as ackee and saltfish or cassava breads or green fig salad or curry goat or pepper pot or accra or too many others to list.

It would be wondeful to see modern twists put on some if these dishes, while maintaining the cultural integrity of the dish itself...

I'm with you The Loup - Caribbean food's time may be 2019... In the meantime, enjoy Nina's dishes while in New Orleans!!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
45,463 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

Probably less red meat. This has been a gradual trend for the last few years. I'm not required to reduce for health reasons, but tastes change as you go through life and mine are.

Stir Frys have become a larger part of our diet, and I think that trend will continue. Its one way my wife can get me to eat a greater variety of vegetables. lol

I like to think that I am a little more adventurous than when I was younger. But then again, I do have a pretty solid lists of favorites now. However, I do think a little adventure is good for all of us.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,574 posts
6,440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

More on the topic.......

Eater gives us a long collection of Food Trends for 2018

https://www.eater.com/2018/1/2/16808664/rest…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

Went to look at “competitive Ding,” but the BBC link was dead...

If this is one of those, “bet you can’t eat a 144 Oz steak, bone and all, in 5 mins,” then I want no part of it.

There are already too many such food shows, where the host tries to eat a 40 lb Burrito in the course of the 45 min show.

Now, maybe the subject is for something different?

Hunt

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,572 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

I'm with Hunt. I can't bear those food shows where the sole objective seems to be to eat your own weight in fats, carbs, sugar and salt, and all against the clock. Apart from the message it sends, it's such a boringly repetitive formula, I can only assume it's super cheap to make such shows.

Back on topic, all that these endless lists show is that nothing probably is new, but some parts of the world do not yet always have a restaurant serving cuisine from far away or of a particular style.

Most of the places that serve food within a 10 mile radius of my home, being a rural location, will not be changing their menus any time soon, nor are they influenced by food fashions except several years down the line, and that more in response to what customers demand than any adherence to so called food fashion.

However, when I head a bit further away to larger towns and cities, then food fashion is pretty obvious. However, what I'm more interested in is tasty, good quality food well cooked, and following food trends does not guarantee that, so I tend to dig a bit deeper in my research before making reservations.

SWT

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What will you be eating in 2018?

Though this started in late 2017 for us, after two great meals at Chef José Andrés’ restaurants, é and MiniBar, here are some “things,” which we have eaten:

Rocks

Tree limbs

Flowers*

Butterflies

Bird’s nest

Plus a few more.

* Some real, but some not.

Now, all but the flowers were not real, though appeared to be, even on close inspection. Actually, with two dishes, staff pointed out “do not eat THESE rocks!”

Who knows what Chef Andrés has in store for 2018?!?!

Dine well my friend,

Hunt

Reply to: What will you be eating in 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions