We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

As the designated planner for my group, I am looking at the details on how to get a tee time on the Old Course and have a couple of questions:

* Does anyone know when the Busy Times schedule will be posted on the St. Andrews website for 2013? We are trying to decide between travelling in June vs July, and the June 2012 schedule seems much more congested than July. Can I assume that summer 2013 will look similar?

*When requesting online advanced reservations, the information states that tee times are given on a first come, first serve basis. Does that mean that I should be submitting my online application at 12:01 am St. Andrews time on the first Wed of Sept or 12:01 my time on the same date? Or does it matter if I submit the thing when I wake up in the morning? : O)

* Third, when you select the second course you wish to play and indicate that on the advanced res application, I assume that you are not obligated to put down a deposit on that course if you don't get an advanced res on the Old Course. Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks to all for your experience!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

I've applied (successfully) for two years running for a trip to St. Andrews. We had four couples go in May 2011, and we have 8 guys leaving in 9 days. I'll answer your questions as best I can, but its never a bad idea to email the trust directly, at reservations@standrews.org.uk.

As I remember, the Busy dates for 2012 became available in late July or early August. I think its safe to assume that next year's schedule will be simmilar, but there are no guarantees. They suggest that you request as large a window as possible to maximize your chances. If you can delay your other arrangements until you hear back from the Trust, that's what I'd recommend as well.

I don't know exactly how they award the times, but I'd recommend that you send it in very shorty after the opening time, which is 10 AM Scotland time. I was up at 5 AM East Coast time, and waited until about 30 seconds after 5 to send my application.

You'll get notice of the times you've been allocated within two weeks, based on the website. For 2011, we waited 8 weeks and got the notice via regular mail, for 2012 we waited 8 weeks for an email notice, so they keep improving their system. Around two weeks after the first notice, we got a second email informing us of HOW to make the payment, and we had about another two weeks to pay IN FULL for both rounds. There should be a spot on your initial application indicating whether you want to proceed with booking your second course in the event you're not successful in getting a time on the Old. There's really no obligation of any kind until the time you send in your payment.

If you're interested, I posted a rather long trip report of my May 2011 trip here in the Golf Vacation Forum, I think it was back in December. Good luck, its a great experience!

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

Thanks, Dave. Most helpful information.

And have a second great trip!

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

I'm glad to help any way I can. Feel free to continue asking questions as you move through the process. You might also want to look at: www.golfnook.com

for information on planning your trip. I also recommend a book by Allan Ferguson, which you can purchase at

http://fergusongolf.com/book.htm#order

Both offer lots of great advice for planning your own trip to Scotland.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

Thanks to your former recommendations, I have read both the book and the website, and they are full of important information and really fun to read. I also enjoy their slightly differing recommendations on which courses they enjoy most.

I am sure more questions will arise in the future. One comes to mind now. How far in advance did you book Royal Dornoch?

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

I made those bookings pretty quickly after hearing from St. Andrews, but I'm not sure that's really necessary. I just looked at a random week in June, and there are still lots of times available. If you read my trip report, or some of my other postings, you'll see that Royal Dornoch, including the wee town of Dornoch, was my favorite experience of last year's trip, and this year we've decided to play there two days in a row. There are a number of really enjoyable golf courses in that area in addition, so it makes a nice second "home base" if you're planning a two-location trip. I was really tempted by the Aberdeen courses too, but I just couldn't justify a longer trip. As for the differing recommendation about courses, we all know that opinions are like ********, we all have one. I'll be sure to post my impressions and experiences from my upcoming trip in a timely manner. I'm sure they'll manage to confuse you further than you probably already are.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

If we are staying in the Inverness area and the guys want to play one course in the vicinity, I am looking at Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart or Nairn Golf Club. Tain is another possibility but seems to pale next to Dornoch. I realize Royal Dornoch is the king on the list, but for convenience sake, they might consider Nairn or Castle Stuart. Any thoughts?

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

I've never played either. I'm playing Tain on my upcoming trip, and I'll let you know my impressions when I get back. Castle Stuart looks amazing from the broadcast of the Scottish Open, but I feel about it the same way I feel about Kingsbarns. Both are really expensive, much more than their older and more historic neighbors. My preference would be to play the older courses, and save money in the bargain. If its me, and there's only one round to be played, I'd go to Dornoch.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

Something I forgot to mention, the Crtis Cup is being played at Nairn on June 8 to 10. The Curtis Cup is the women's counterpart to the Walker Cup, amateur women from the US compete against a team from Great Britain and Ireland in three days of match play. I'm sure the Golf Channel will at least have highlites, and may even have live coverage. Seeing the course on TV might help you make a more informed choice.I'm sure we'll get a bit of it on the telly while we're in St. Andrews and Dornoch.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

Thanks for the tip, Dave. We will look for the Curtis Cup on TV!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
704 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning for St. Andrews Summer 2013

The Open is at Muirfield in July 2013. May get busy around July. I know we have plans to head there.

Make sure you make plans to head up to Royal Dornoch. Who knows you may run into pros at any course. Last summer we were at Turnberry same time as Gary Player and Thomas Bjorn.