We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

NYC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

We are driving from New York City where we live to Rodanthe NC, is it quicker to take 95 down to Richmond to 64 or along the coast on 1S to 113 to 13 and over Chesapeake Bay. I feel like the coastal path may be more direct but full of traffic lights and slower speeds.Any thoughts ?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

The coastal route avoids Baltimore and DC, which can have major traffic issues if you hit them at the wrong time. We avoid them as often as humanly possible. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is something to see - worth the ride in one direction at least. You might get more specific responses from folks who have taken both routes if you post to the North Carolina - Outer Banks forum. I've seen lots of posts about the exact routes to take from your area.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

Take the coastal route!!

95 south once you get into Delaware from NJ (Delaware Memorial Bridge) is nothing but construction for approx 6 miles tying up traffic brutally!! Trust me I live here!!

We always take the coastal route when we go down! Love that ride much more then the 95 corridor!!

SJG

staten island
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

There are lots of traffic lights on 113 , but still a better ride than 95. As mentioned, the D. C. area has the potential of adding a lot more time to your trip. As it is, google maps shows the coast as being the quicker way, and they do factor in lights, I believe.

4. Re: Driving from New York City to Rodanthe NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:47