We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salton Sea Project

6 posts
Salton Sea Project

Hi everyone

I am a French photographer and I am making a book of photographs about the Salton Sea. I have already been there twice but I would like to go back again to finalize my project. There are some places I haven't been, I'm sure. But to find these places, I would need someone on the spot who knows the Satlon Sea well to guide me to the right places. I plan to go there from March 12 to March 17, 2019. Do you know someone who can help me with this project? (retired or person with free time). I thank you in advance for your help

12 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,188 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Salton Sea Project

What areas are you wanting to see?

6 posts
2. Re: Salton Sea Project

I went to bombay beach (I probably lack places there), Salton City (I haven't explored everything) Desert Shore (same, I probably haven't explored everything). So my project is to go to places all around the sea where there are traces of abandoned buildings and objects like boats, power poles, construction machinery, marinas.

I don't include the Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,453 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Salton Sea Project

google ... Salton Sea area attractions ... carracar

6 posts
4. Re: Salton Sea Project

No, it's more complicated than that, google doesn't know the access paths to places that don't appear on the maps....

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Salton Sea Project

I am assuming you have been to Salvation Mountain and Slab City. But the right place for this would be the California forum. It's not related to a road trip.

I would, in general, warn you against going down random paths while you are out there. People live there because they want to live privately, and since there is very little police presence beyond the occasional visit by the Imperial Sheriff, they tend to take law enforcement (and trespass) matters into their own hands.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 01:00
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Salton Sea Project

Some of those "abandoned buildings" may not be. There is quite an enclave of residents who really don't want to be messed with. Needless to say they shoot first ask questions later if possible.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 01:52
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
6,431 reviews
7. Re: Salton Sea Project

You may want to ask for a volunteer for this project and post on the Indio California forum on craigslist.

I find this sort of iffy type thing to have a volunteer with me (if I do not know more about them)

If you are concerned about safety (which you should be for this part) I would rely on local chamber of commerce resources to help you with your project such ashttp://local.townsquarepublications.com/california/indio/index.html

and ask them for recommendations

This area has a very high population of seniors and I would think you can find a knowledgeable senior to help you with your project.

6 posts
8. Re: Salton Sea Project

@mini: thank you for this answer which gives me some directions to follow.

My project is artistic, I want to make a book and an exhibition in France (and, why not in U.S.A), on the Salton Sea; as I said on a previous post, I have already gone twice to Salton Sea, I probably have 60-70% of photographs, if I go back there, I will stay several days to really feel that I have all the photographic material to finish my project. The main theme of my images is almost philosophical...... the passing of time and the man who leaves an imprint of his passage on earth

Edited: 23 September 2018, 13:15
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,188 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Salton Sea Project

There used to be a Salton Sea museum near Mecca.Here is an article about it. It was housed in the restored North Shore Yacht Club, which has an interesting history itself.

https:/…

The state park has a visitor center which I'm sure you have probably been to.

Just wondering if you have ever seen this documentary?

https:/…26_Pleasures_on_the_Salton_Sea

6 posts
10. Re: Salton Sea Project

@Dez40 Thank you !

I saw the documentary a year ago, it's very interesting. From memory, the people of Salton were expressing themselves. Maybe I should find the director (Christopher Metzler) to have contacts on the spot? This is a way to follow......

Edited: 23 September 2018, 23:46
Reply to: Salton Sea Project
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted