We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

Hi All,

I'm planning to take a 5-day road trip over Thanksgiving week (Wednesday-Sunday) with my fiance and our dog (black lab). We'll be leaving early Wednesday morning and we're thinking about making the 4 attractions below our points of interest:

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Taos Ski Valley - plan for me to ski a half day while my fiance has the dog - snow permitting

Santa Fe

Albuquerque

I was curious to see what everyone's opinion is on our itinerary. Where should we go first, last, etc. I know Taos Ski Resort has opening day on Thursday, so it might make sense to head straight to Albuquerque and slowly make our way north and hit the destinations as we go. Also, we won't be planning to spend a ton of time in each city, but we'd like to have enough time to see a couple things and experience the culture - recommendations?. Based on what I've outlined below, do you think we should spend more time in any specific area than another? Also, any recommendations you can provide that will make having the dog with us easier?

Wednesday - drive to Albuquerque, spend the afternoon and evening there

Thursday - morning in Albuquerque and then drive to Santa Fe and spend the afternoon and evening there

Friday - leisure morning in Santa Fe, drive to Taos Ski Valley and spend the evening there

Saturday - I will ski in the morning and we will all spend the afternoon and evening together and stay the night in Taos Ski Valley again

Sunday - drive to the great sand dunes national park on our way back to Denver

Thanks for any help!

Jake

5 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
1 review
1. Re: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

I would not count on snow at Taos.

great sand dunes likely has pet restrictions given the park large wildlife present.

day 1 to Alamosa

day 2 to albuquerquw

day 3 to santa fe

day 4 santa fe

day 5 back home

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

I used to work at Taos Ski Valley and we almost always opened on the projected opening day. Long range this year looks wetter and everybody I've talked to out there is expecting a big snowfall season. No guarantees, but we'll see.

https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/632564/wint…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,123 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

I'd skip Albuquerque all together. Spend 2 nights in Santa Fe to give you a full day there.

Go to the official park for information about pet restrictions at Great Sand Dune NP.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

After that last day on the slopes at Taos ... have reservations made at the Ajo Caliente, Spa. Refreshed, drive the 285 North, in the AM ... Happy trails .... carracar

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico

Pets are allowed in all the day use areas in the NP. (You have to open a pdf and do some scrolling to find the information).

I love Albuquerque (especially at that time of year). We found both Santa Fe and Albquerque to be very pet friendly (although going to a spa is difficult, because someone has to wait with the pet - so take turns).

It's true that Santa Fe has *so* much to see, one could easily skip Albuquerque on a short trip like this one.

Reply to: 5 Day Thanksgiving Week Road trip - Denver to New Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted