We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AAA services for trip planning and reservations

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
177 posts
33 reviews
AAA services for trip planning and reservations

i have a question, some travel experts might be able to answer. - We usually do all our travel planning well in advance and we choose and make flight/car/hotel reservations, etc. - We do ask for and receive AAA discounts when applicable - Is there any real benefit doing all the planning and reservations thru our AAA membership account?

23 replies to this topic
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,332 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

Sure, if it saves you money. Do you mean just using your AAA membership for discounts if available? I don't understand what is meant by "planning and reservations through our AAA membership account."

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,184 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

The benefits I have liked are

1) Free travel guides, services

2) Discounts on lodging

3) Road Service

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,975 posts
508 reviews
3. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

I use AAA all the time but use it and book directly with car rental company and with hotels. I do not book thru AAA. To me much easier that way if there is a cancellation or problem.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
147 reviews
4. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

I enjoy doing all of my own planning/reserving, etc. To me, it's part of the fun. As far as the AAA discount, the senior discount is the same (at least at every place I have checked). The only time I would use travel services for reserving, planning, etc., would be for a cruise or travel out of the US.

We do have AAA, and last year we had a flat tire while traveling, and completely forgot about using the service..))

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

AAA for car rental does not always offer the best deals so shopping around is a good idea.

The hotel sites that offer AAA discounts have a place where you select AAA rate which is about 15% when booking online or will give the discount when showing up on the day.

They do have good maps and the Tour Book for planning; during our latest 5,600 mile road trip through Alaska and Yukon we stopped at the Tourist Info in each city to get the latest and more detailed info for the region some of which was not available online. We also did not make reservations for most of the trip. Some Visitor centers where quite helpful in helping sort out what was a good choice and a few kept tabs on vacancies.

I tried to get a Trip-Tik from our local office and it got complicated as they are trying to phase out that service.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

Besides the discounts, roadside assistance and providing maps AAA also operates a travel agency. I think that's what the OP is asking about. I don't recall ever reading a post from anyone who used it.

My advice is just like any other travel agent compare prices. Don't just assume you will get "the AAA discount" on all your flights and hotels.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,772 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

I order all my maps and booklets in advance of a trip. I use the discounts at hotels and other places that accept them but never use them to book a trip. My MIL did use them to book a trip to Italy which included tours and everything, I join all the hotel rewards clubs and book directly with the hotels to get my points but still use AAA for the discount if its better then my members price. Using them for a rental car discount is a good idea too.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
1 review
8. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

My mom was a travel agent ( not with AAA). Thus was when people needed travel agents to book flights and trips.

Now travel agents are really only needed if you book foreign destination trips and get guidance from them if you are overwhelmed with what to decide to do. They are also useful for booking cruises as combination with flight travel.

As for AAA membership the discounts you get on hotels usually covers your membership if you travel enough. Usually $5-$10 savings per night. You get AAA discounts for some tourist things to do like tour or event tickets.

Then you have the free naps and guide books.

And you have roadside assistance.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
177 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

Yes, I was referring to the Travel Agency related services..was just wondering if im missing something when booking all and everything on my own. I got the answer :) Thank you all! We do use the AAA membership for the discounts anyways, and we sure hope to never have to use the roadside services but we have it in case :) - I also order the available maps and guides from AAA before a trip and they are very helpful, so I guess we basically maximize the possible and useful services.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,332 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: AAA services for trip planning and reservations

For me it would take a lot of fun out of traveling if someone else planned it. Planning is part of the experience and creates excitement.

Reply to: AAA services for trip planning and reservations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted