We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV from Vegas to Phoenix

Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
RV from Vegas to Phoenix

I am planning an RV trip from Vegas to Phoenix for 2 weeks in Dec. So pick up from Vegas on Dec 22nd and drop off in Phoenix Jan 3 or 4th. Two adults and one 8y old. I looked into Escape camper vans. But what other options are there for one way rentals? I also checked CruiseAmerica but their Vegas location got terrible reviews. Any suggestions appreciated.

14 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

The best plan ... Should, center on the lower elevation,largely desert areas of Southern California, Arizona & perhaps New Mexico... A Van, may be uncomfortable in colder high elevation areas (such as the Grand Canyon) It will not however, have water pipes or holding tanks that may freeze up costing thousands in repairs. Happy trails ... carracar

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

A previous topic you should read: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…

Have you ever driven an RV before?

Since the RV is your transporation, every time you want to go somewhere, you will need to disconnect any water, sewer and electrical hookups and then reconnect the RV on your return. It can be difficult to find parking for an RV in a city for site seeing excursions.

Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

Thanks for the suggestions. I booked a camper van from Escape, because I could not find a reliable RV rental. Both Cruise America and El Monte in Vegas got terrible reviews.

My plan is -> Death Valley - Palm Springs - Joshua Tree - Yuma - Kitt Peak Observatory - Tucson - Sonoran Desert - Phoenix

Any "Do not miss" locations that are worthy on this route? Also, since the camper van has no toilet and shower, I need to look out for campgrounds with shower facilities on the way. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited: 26 August 2018, 10:23
Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

With Cruise America you are right. But not with El Monte. We rented from El Monte, Las Vegas, many times and never had a problem.

As far as I know the Escape Van doesn't have heating? Which one did you rent? Only the Truck-Camper has shower.

Beate

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,811 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

I do agree that CruisAmerica gets some pretty terrible reviews, I have to assume there may be a reaons, but I've never used them.

The thing is, though, is that the types of campervans that Escape rent out are entirely different things. They are not independent, self sufficient vehicles. Most do not have toilets and proper washing facilities, so you need to stop in camp sites with shower and toilet blocks, or be prepared to camp in primitive facilities with nothing more than a pit toilet. A very different experience from an RV.

But the key issue, in a winter trip - even in desert lands - is that in winter, it will be cold the minute you turn off the vehicle engine as there's no heating. You will need to buy your own heater - and take care to source one that can be used in a confined space. I assume that will need power, so you need camp sites with power provided, which are more expensive, even if you don't use the wet hook ups.

Overall your trip plan for a camper based trip is fine for winter.

SWT

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

Any specific reasons for Palm Springs and Yuma?...hopefully Phoenix is just for the drop-off.

Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

Thanks for the thoughts about heating issues. Our goal is to be mobile. Van would be convenient to pack up in the morning and visit places around. I thought of sites with power source to use the space heater that comes with the van.

Main focus is on Death Valley. Then we plan to do the night program in Kitt Peak Observatory. Then visit friends in Tucson and Phoenix. Yuma is just a stop on the way, no specific reason.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

There's a cool little RV park at Dateland, AZ which is just west of Yuma on I-8. A little oasis...almost literally. Full hook-ups and friendly folks. Yuma is kind of a pit.

https:/…

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
86 reviews
9. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

We have camped at Dateland ... It is a nice stop .. The main line of the railroad (all night long),is just across the road from the RV Park... Stop for a date shake & drive on ... to the 85 South, to a tranquil overnight,in Ajo... Happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 27 August 2018, 01:09
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: RV from Vegas to Phoenix

Thanks. Will stop by Dateland.

Is there anything worth stopping near Salton Sea?

Reply to: RV from Vegas to Phoenix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted