We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula

8 posts
Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula

Hello travelers!

My family is planning a road trip from the Twin Cities in Minnesota to Michigan's Upper Peninsula with our 6 and 8 year old boys and could use some advice on routes and stops along the way.

We are planning on going for 9 days so we could do an overnight stop along the way if its enticing!

We are going to be staying hotels (just don't have the time to properly plan camping)

We have passports as well if that helps!

3 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
1 review
1. Re: Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula

There are plenty of towns to visit along Lake Superior then over to the east end of the UP and reach over to lower Michigan and mackinaw . Do you want to constantly move or pick 2 places and stay 3 nights?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
851 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula

You have SO many options!

First, decide which route TO the UP. #1 Duluth, Ashland/Bayfield, Ironwood, or #2 EauClaire, Wausau, Watersmeet.

This link provides a nice summary of where to stop while in the UP circlemichigan.com/upper-peninsula--itinerar…

Along the western edge of the UP are the Porcupine Mountains https://www.porcupineup.com/ and the Keweenaw Peninsula. The Keewenaw includes Houghton (home to Michigan Tech), Brockway Mountain, Copper Harbor, and more. https://www.keweenaw.info/ (I'm from a Tech family, so am most familiar with this area)

You may enjoy hitting a few waterfalls gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/statemich…

8 posts
3. Re: Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula

Thanks so much for your reply! And sorry for my delay... I've been out of town.

We would likely stay in 2 or 3 different hotels and just spiderweb out from there.

Edited: 30 June 2018, 00:22
Reply to: Road Trip from Minnesota to Michigan Upper Peninsula
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted