We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX

1 post
First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX

Hi there! Next month (July) me and two friends, all under 25 are hoping to drive from Nashville to either Austin or San Antonio.

I was wondering what is the best place to rent a car for this? I'm really confused by all the fees and stuff and not sure whether to buy insurance.

Thanks heaps!

3 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX

Being under 25 will attract an additional fee. IMO you have left this important issue of car rental rather late. To visit the USA without insurance is asking for trouble. On our last trip our car was broken into, the damage done would have run into the tens of thousands, but we were covered. Make sure you rental includes all insurance/liability cover. Go through an Australian third-party or a direct rental but ensure you stipulate you are an Aussie, this way all car insurance will be included.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,593 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX

Good advice above.

As you are under 25, are seemingly doing a 1 way trip and will want multiple drivers, as well as sufficient insurance coverage, this will not be cheap. Leaving it this late will not help. Do not try to cut corners with your choice of rental company, especially in the light of the salutory comment above.

Maybe PBM could mention some of the Aussie brokers that might work.

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,593 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX

You said "hoping" ....

Does that mean that even flights are not yet booked? Yikes!

If you need more help than just the car rental, please revert back with lots of info on the plan as it is. You do know everywhere will be extremely hot?

SWT

Reply to: First time Aussie in US road trip: Nashville to TX
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted