We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Hello, Im a aerial filmmaker, I do road trips all over the world for my aerial footages and pictures and my YouTube vlogs. Im planning to do a multi country road trip in europe for 15 days in July.

How is the weather in July ? Good to go ?

And I know, for aerial scenes, best is iceland and norway, but Im keeping it for next year.

This year july, I want to do germany, switzerland, austria, italy.

Do you think 15 days is good enough to drive the best of those 4 countries ?

Or shall I add more country or remove any ?

Kindly link me to some best itineary for 15 days for multi country in Europe, keeping photography, filmmaking and aerial beauty in mind.

Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

If all you plan to do is drive and drive and drive and just skim a small portion of those countries, then I'd guess in 15 days, what you describe without any real details is possible. Whether it would make sense and be enjoyable is a different matter entirely.

What's the goal? To simply film rural scenery? To have an enjoyable trip yourself? To have any time for sightseeing, culture, history or anything else?

Have you ever visited any part of Europe before?

have you ever driven in Europe before?

You need to understand that there are all sorts of things you might need to learn regarding self driving in different European countries. Even with the harmonised EU laws, each country still has a wealth of different and specific road rules, speed limits, safety kit requirements, etc, etc.

Also, while cars rented from major, global companies often allow you to drive in other countries and with full insurance coverage, this is not an automatic given. You need to check the fine print or speak to the rental company.

July is summer in Europe. Weather is usually lovely and warm or hot, maybe the odd thunderstorm. For somebody from India, nothing to worry about.

However, it's also the main travel season for almost everybody as in July every single European country just about, their schools are on their long summer break. As a result, there are tourists, families, travellers from other countries too, everywhere. Hotels and such like may already be long booked up.

Separately, road tripping in Europe is not like doing so in countries with sparse populations and modern cities. Much of Europe is very densely populated and with many very old communities of all sizes. These places, whether cities, towns, villages, may have local laws banning cars in certain areas (or at certain times of the day), and they often have narrow, congested streets with lots of traffic lights and complicated traffic management systems. They are not conducive to road trips and for the unwary and unprepared. Slowing travel down is the least of your worries in some of these kinds of places, being fined for entering city limits or driving on certain kinds of road when you don't understand or heed the signs can be expensive.

Have you looked at prices of those countries and considered a budget? Switzerland is the most expensive country, but none are cheap.

In general, unless you know the ropes or know the area you visit is different, these countries are not often good places to head to without a plan and thus confirmed lodging reservations at that time of year.

Finally, as you have been asked on previous topics on this forum - you need to define 'best'. What would make anything 'best' to you?

SWT

Level Contributor
921 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

<aerial filmmaker>

This is not related to the road trip, but "aerial" as in using a drone? In that case you might want to check the local forums as drone use is restricted. And just like traffic laws, these laws and restrictions differ per country.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

If you are looking for mountain scenery The Alps are in all the countries you mention. If you need to take time to scout out locations and wait for ideal lighting conditions before making your film then I would focus on a much smaller area.

Also, as has already been said, you need to check out laws and regulations for driving and flying drones, which I am sure will vary from country to country.

Why not post a link so we can view some of your films?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Posting links that contain any commercial element to them is against TA posting guidelines, and as that's how the OP makes a living, then the entire topic will be closed. If they have posted links within previous posts so makes a habit of it, then TA may close the whole account.

I'm sure the OP (or certainly hope!) by now is well versed in checking which airlines allow the transport of drones, which countries allow them in, and where to find the rules for each country's aviation authority who are usually the body that regulates the use of drones in each different country.

SWT

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Lets forget about drones, as Im known to the rules.

Lets just discuss about your suggested itineraries, so I can decide which one to go for.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

You ask a lot of questions, many of them personal ones which nobody else can answers. Yet you seem to be very reluctant about being forthcoming about what you wish from a trip. We are not a travel agency, just a group of peers who happen to be travel enthusiasts and have knowledge on travels from past experiences.

As such, nobody can tell you what is suitable, 'best' or what a perfect trip looks like for you - and I notice you have possibly now plumped for Switzerland - unless you explain yourself more. Otherwise, simply walk into any travel agent you like and get them to book it all for you. We do not plan trips and while I could make many suggestions, unless you provide some clear guidance as to what you want and why, I'm wasting my time.

SWT

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

countryside, nature and mountains

this is what I like visiting, along the road trip. Avoiding city life.

Im just into nature and landscapes.

Does that help to suggest ?

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

So if I make it into a new road trip itinerary, by using Google Maps how about this -

Day 1 - Drive from Zurich to Lucerne (goto titlis for few hours and get back)

Day 2 - Drive from Lucerne to Meiringen (see what that day ?)

Day 3 - Drive to Andermatt or Hospental (see Grimsel Pass- Gletsch - Furka Pass - Hospental - Andermatt)

Day 4 - Drive to Tasch (see Gotthard Pass - Leventina Valley - Airolo - Bedretto - Nufenen Pass - Brig - Visp)

Day 5 & 6 - Drive to Montreux (Im keeping 2 nights here, as I hear many good things about this place. So, what all things to do in 2 days here ?)

Day 7 - Drive to Bern (see Chillon - Vevey - Fribourg - Sarine)

Day 8 - Drive to Zurich (which route to take, which is scenic villages along this route ?)

Questions -

1. which you suggest for night stops in hotels ?

Is 13 days too much for this or shall I shorten the trip a bit ?

Do you suggest going to zermatt or can be skipped ? As I read, car cannot go to Zermatt.

I can see you are suggesting to do Bern, which I was thinking would be too crowded a city and will waste time driving into and out of the city and wont get enough time for photos videos. So you still suggest Bern or any cut out to some village which is near to mountains or lake and got small hotel or bnb, so I can do that ?

From the above 8 days list, do you think I shall add 1 more night to Lucerne or any one else ?

Munich
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Please have a look at your other threads. There are a lot of anwers.

beate

Bhubaneswar, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?

Ok I have made it a bit short and more practical.

How about this ?

Day 1 - Reach Munich

Day 2 - Spend a day in Munich

Day 3 - Drive from Munich - Andermatt - 393km

Day 4 - Spend a day in Andermatt

Day 5 - Drive from Andermatt - Zurich - 109km

Day 6 - Spend a day in Zurich

Day 7 - Drive from Zurich - Innsbruck - 292km

Day 8 - Spend a day in Innsbruck

Day 9 - Drive from Innsbruck - Salzburg - 186km

Day 10 - Drive from Salzburg - Prague - 375km

Day 11 - Spend a day in Prague

Day 12 - Drive from Prague to Munich - 387km

Reply to: Best Scenic Europe Road trip for 15 days ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted