We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer

jh2
Kibworth Beauchamp...
Level Contributor
36 posts
132 reviews
80 helpful votes
Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

Hi, having towed a caravan in the UK for 25 years, I quite like the idea of doing do in the US next august for a couple of weeks around lake Michigan. I've done the RV and found it quite come training when going into towns. Does anyone know of any companies who hire vehicle/trailer combo's around Chicago or even just the tow vehicle so I could sort out the trailer myself?

Thanks.

39 replies to this topic
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

The only truck (hire) rental I know of in the US is Enterprise...they have a separate fleet set up with trailer hitches, towing capability, etc. Can't help you with the trailer...maybe they could help? See link.

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles/pickup-trucks/OneTon4WDPickupTruck-business.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

None of the normal rental agencies rent anything you can tow with. You can find a business rental for towing.

You might check the RV dealerships around the Chicago area. I've seen one in Jackson WY and Denver CO that will rent trailer/tow vehicle so it is possible but very rare.

jh2
Kibworth Beauchamp...
Level Contributor
36 posts
132 reviews
80 helpful votes
3. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

That would seem to cover it- surely things can't be that simple. Thanks for the quick reply!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
4. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

jh2...that information is incorrect...I personally rented a 3/4 ton pick-up a few months ago from Enterprise for towing. It had a receiver hitch and high towing capacity. Please see the link I included and enter your personal information.

https:/…OneTon4WDPickupTruck-business.html

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

Eric, that is a Business rental. Note the url.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

Negative...click on the link and start the application. You can check business or personal for a 3/4 ton P/U. I rented one here!

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/content/truckrental/en_US/reservations/choosevehicle.html

Edited: 3 years ago
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

Pricy. Quick check for week in Chicago in may 3/4 ton pickup. ~$100/day with 300 miles/day. ($0.49/extra mile). Plus usual tax extras. No sunday pickup/drop off.

Not clear if they have a brake controller that would be necessary. Haven't seen surge brakes on a travel trailer in years.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
8. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

No kidding...pricey for sure. I just used it for a day to help a buddy move. He paid. Would get outrageous for a long trip.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
35,538 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

Basically, and I say this as a Brit who has looked into this to answer previous questions: No 'normal' rental car will allow you to town anything, and it won't come with any of the towing kit needed anyway. Plus, finding a 'caravan' to tow, or even a pop up tent trailer on the rental market is a challenge.

Yes, as a rental RVer, you do look jealously at those with trucks and 5th wheelers that can be left behind, or a Class A with a 'toad' - the detachable towed smaller vehicle, and you quickly figure out that's the way to visit cities and those national parks with bendy roads or limited parking but, I've yet to find a viable solution, I'm afraid.

SWT

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16,341 posts
69 reviews
63 helpful votes
10. Re: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Save

SWT...please review the link to Enterprise Truck rental I posted. Finding a rental truck with towing apparatus is no problem and they are readily available in the Chicago area. I rented a 3/4 ton Pick-up a couple of months ago. The OP can easily rent the truck through Enterprise and find a travel trailer for rental as well in the area. Won't be cheap, but it can be done.

http://www.collierrv.com/rentals/wolf-pup-16bhs

Reply to: Pick up rental for towing a camping trailer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
India
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.