We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

Hello

I wanted to write a word of warning about Rentalcars.com. I booked a car with them in Luxembourg. On the reservation I stated that I'd arrive at 7pm and I added my flight number. My flight actually arrived at 9.30pm so I was a bit later than what I'd stated.

On arrival at the rental company counter - InterRent in this case - I found that it was already closed. Apparently they close at 8pm. For all the other customers, they leave a key with the parking garage attendants and it works just fine. But there was no key for me. Apparently they either thought I was a no show (even though they had my flight number and arrival time) or they did not have enough information about me when they closed (e.g. they didn't have a copy of my voucher from Rentalcars.com).

In any case the result was that I had to rent a car from the friendly chaps at Avis that cost about 3x as much as (Eur 100 vs Eur 30).

When I explained all this very politely to both InterRent and to Rentalcars.com, each one pointed at the other and told me that because of the mismatch between my stated arrival time and the flight number, it was my fault. No refund. No apology. Nothing.

Needless to say I think it's frankly a bit ridiculous to take my money when I haven't even seen let alone driven the rental car and given that they had all the information required to leave me a key. But if they want to lose a customer for life so be it ...

I'm writing this review so you can be forewarned. Think twice before choosing the cheapest option ...

111 replies to this topic
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,587 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

>>Think twice before choosing the cheapest option ...<<

Perhaps that should read, read all the fine print before you choose the cheapest option, and decide whether it suits your need. It was not Rentalcars fault that you gave them the wrong arrival time, and one of their terms is that you must arrive within 2 hours of the stated reservation time. And, by choosing to pay in advance you took all the risk.

Do you have travel insurance? I don't know if you can claim, but if you can prove your flight was more than 2 hours late and demonstrate that you had a reservations where time was of the essence, perhaps you can make a claim.

The cheapest options for many aspects of travel - whether that be car rental, flights, hotel reservations or whatever, those contracts that you need to agree to are the ones that can often not be cancelled or modified, and if you no show or need to change any aspect, you forfeit moneys already paid. That's why they're cheap!

So yes, perhaps you should think twice next time.

SWT

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

You are right that technically they are within their T&Cs. But the fact of the matter remains: they had all the information they needed, they already have a system for leaving a key for customers who arrive after their counter closes, but for whatever reason they couldn't be bothered. Great businesses are built on customer service and keeping us happy, not by nickel-and-diming us.

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

An update from me: Rentalcars.com called me today and fully refunded my rental. They acknowledged that there was some confusion between the arrival time and the flight number ... Well done to them for good customer service.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,587 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

So basically you hurriedly and happily complained about their lack of customer service and follow up by slating them on this forum without allowing any recourse.

Perhaps the real message is that you need to be more patient when complaining.

Large organisations often need time to gather facts and perhaps in this case contact the actual rental company to hear their side of the story as well.

SWT

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

Well that depends on your perspective @swt. I'd say my perseverance and public posting is the most likely reason that they changed their mind ...

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
233 reviews
6. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

THey did not look at this forum.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
181 reviews
7. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

As the original post is now no longer needed as a warning, perhaps it can be removed?

3 posts
8. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

It is scam!!!!!

Situation one: booked a car, got to the car office and there was no car avaiable.

Situation two: booked a car, got to car rental office in airport to.pick up the car, europcar wanted to assault me with ensurance price! They show super good prices but then when u get to place is another story.

I called to refund , they made me procede online, 1 day later confirmed my reservation even though i got no car, so there was no option to cancel. Not even that anymore

NEVER use this sh* online scam!

Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
9. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

We arrived to pick up a mini van that was reserved one week in advance, and they said there is no van or anything comparable at this location. I have 6 senior citizens waiting for a transport to a funeral which we will now be late for! The airport rental counter had very little information regarding our reservation and told us if we would have just booked through Budget instead of rentalcars.com (Booking.com sends you to rentalcars.com to book through them), this would have never happened - so it will NEVER happen again! Neither myself or anyone I know will ever use Booking.com/rentalcars.com to book a rental car or anything else!

After almost 2 hours of trying to find suitable rental, Budget let me cancel my reservation and go to Thrifty where it took them less than 10 minutes to get us a van and on the road (and cost double). Their website shows a 4 star for Budget, but that is FRAUDULENT, no where else on the internet does it show a 4 star for Budget at the SLC airport, they are all one stars with horrible reviews! The reason for renting was so I could take these seniors to a funeral which we missed because of this terrible customer service. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact rentalcars.com, but they have no email address or phone number for customer service.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
10. Re: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?

Yes it is. I'm trying to get my money back right now. Booked a car for two days - and never received a receipt. When I tried to manage the booking on their website they didn't recognized the email I made the booking under. But of course - they posted the transaction on my visa! Total scam. How come they have not been shut down?

Reply to: Is Rentalcars.com a scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted