We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“ Traveller's Wishlist ”

On the move
Level Contributor
131 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
“ Traveller's Wishlist ”

On another forum, they were talking about a wish list for travellers. What would you include in this list?

I did actually give up my home quite a few years back and now live out of a suitcase, so here are a few items that I have found useful.

A low tech wooden doorstop (good for peace of mind)

a full head flat-pack fire mask

A hard drive that can plug into a TV via RCA ports, loaded up with 500GB of documentaries

plenty of headache tablets

A compass

A monocular

A tape measure and hanging type weight scale (saves me getting ripped off at markets)

A Bear Grylls type fire starter

Deodorant can be real difficult to find in many places

A selection of zip lock bags of different sizes always seem to come in useful

A top quality full size umbrella

A blindfold (for sleeping)

a small bag of decent quality elastic bands

A small book of photos of friends and family for easing into conversation with other travellers

A good quality passport cover

plenty of spare passport pics for visas

superglue

A few well chosen gifts for those who might help me out on the road

A shaving brush (very difficult to find away from big cities)

A couple of different sized spare sink plugs.

Any plastic card with a chip in so that I can leave my PC downloading when I am in a hotel room with a door card type lock.

These may not be essential for everybody and most are not particularly high tech but they sure have come in useful over the last ten years or so.

This is an interesting topic, so I will give a 'wishlist' a bit more thought over the next few days.

Chris

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

Hmmm a few of the things you mentioned I wouldn't pack as a separate item due to bulk - such as a compass or photo album - both would be on my iPhone.

My list:

Small rubber doorstop.

Small 1tb hard drive with movies, tv series, books, music, photos etc.

iPhone for:

-- compass

-- weather

-- language translation

-- currency conversion

-- all the other useful things on the phone.

Ziplocks - small and large.

Compression bags - especially for winter travel.

Duct tape - several metres wrapped round a thin sewing cotton reel.

Note pad and pens.

Medical kit.

Lightweight fold flat spare bag.

Sewing kit.

Noise canceling ear covering headphones.

4 point power board and multi plug adaptors.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

I responded to your other post, but you have a lot of good ideas and a lot of things i would never bother to carry around with me.

Like, I usually have paper clips and rubber bands (in a small kit bag with my first aid stuff, laundry line, alarm clock, ziplocs, etc) but I wouldnt carry around Crazy Glue or a door stopper. I used to carry around a universal sink stopper, but now I shove a plastic bag in the drain if there is no stopper. I bring a few extra plastic bags in the outer flat pocket of my rollaboard to be used for a laundry bag and to wrap any liquid purchases for the trip home.

Lighening the load is key. I find I have more gear than clothing... My noise cancelling headphones are bulky, but I wouldnt fly without them unless I was on the Amazing Race and really had to lighten my load. Cannot imagine every packing a power strip or any sort of luggage/other scale.

suitcaseready.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

I have travelled with a little door stop ever since housekeeping walked in on me coming out of the shower - despite the huge "do not disturb" sign on the door.

There was also a spate of assaults a few years ago where a man was using old key cards and wandering corridors and entering rooms where the key card still worked.

So for the many hotels that dont have a chain lock - the door stop can at least prevent people getting in. Mine is 2 inches long and weights alomost nothing.

I too have used a plastic bag in a drain where there has been no plug - worked a treat.

My noise cancelling headphones are compact fold up ones that fit into the equivilant of a sunglasses case. I cant use the kinds that go in your ears so I looked everywhere for a small travel sized over the ear style.

Power strip has become an essential item since we all started travelling with 19 things that need charging. (ok 19 might be an exageration!!). Having been on a ship for a month where the cabin had a single power point - being able to plug one power strip in, charge a netbook, phone, and two different battery chargers, and then unplug so the cabin mate could also charge their stuff using their countries adaptor - it was essential. And 90% of the passengers had packed powerstrips - most have been on the same ship dozens of times over the past 20 years and all said it was their number one packing item.

I do have a small luggage scale but I really only use it at home for the initial packing. Once I know what the checked bag and carry on weigh - they are not going to miraculously change during the trip - so I leave the scale at home.

Evening you mentioned another item I havent packed since the early 90s - the good ole alarm clock. My first mobile phone around 1993 had a built in alarm, as did every phone I have owned since then, so I never packed the travel clock again.

If the phone could take over the actual packing etc - I could just travel the world with just it ! (I could dream!!).

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

I am not that good with my android phone yet so I still take an alarm clock which is plastic and very light. my kindle is the first thing I pack along with my camera, toothbrush and meds. I always take headache, stomache and antihistamine pills (and this time maleria pills). Ziplock bags in various sizes are always useful and recently I have begun to pack a hand size microfiber towel. I have a rechargeable battery that charges some of my 'gadgets' - phone and camera - so do not take a strip. I travel with a carry-on size case and small bag so every item has to count. DH takes his notebook and camera and we have a basic unlocked cell we get sim cards for wherever we are (I will leave the android at home so i don't end up with a horiffic bill). The heaviest thing I take is the folder of ticketsn etc and that gets lighter all the time when we are away for 10/12 weeks.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

Something like this topic was discussed once before, and as I recall, a number of those discussions are indexed from the Top 10 Questions area in the top right corner of the forum.

However, I would concur with my esteemed associates here with their suggestions.

In addition, I would point out that packing should generally be done according to the goals of a planned trip.

If I really wanted to go "all in" for "wishlist," the list would be very extensive if I wasn't restricted in carry-on and checked luggage weight / size and airline fees.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,303 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

Yes agree. My packing for Antarctica was a thousand percent different to my regular week long trips interstate to go to the theatre!!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

As we travel with carry-on cases (do not own anything larger) We tend to pack more or less the same for a week or 12 weeks. A bit more care is, of course, necessary for longer trips as there is no room for something that does not 'go' with several other things.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

I do carry-on for almost every trip too - and it doesnt make much difference if it's a 1 week or 1 month trip. The only thing I run out of is body lotion, which is easy to replace, unless you're in Cambodia and dont want "skin whitening" in the lotion!

I also travel with a lot of electronics (pda, laptop, cameras, ipod) and have never had any problem charging gear - even in foreign lands where I only had 1 plug adapter. In the evening when Im resting my feet from walking - and uploading pictures or in the shower, I charge 1 item, then swap it out for a 2nd when Im getting ready to go back out. The 3rd item charges while I'm out having dinner and the 4th charges overnight.

I know some people bring power strips because they are worried about power spikes in developing nations, but those are the types of places I travel, and Ive never had any problems, but I dont leave my laptop on or plugged in for long periods of time. All I ever do is upload pictures or get some destination info. I have yet to blog on the road.

there is no way I would rely on my unreliable Blackberry for an alarm. Not to mention it's a company phone and I look at is as rarely as possible when traveling. Travel alarms weigh nothing and usually have other features. I like to know it's 100 degrees in the shade in Belize.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

Since this is a 'wishlist', this is a list of things that I would like. Do they exist somewhere?

I wish there was a real computer that was the same size and weight as my iPad or Kindle.

I wish there was one universal adapter that would allow me to charge multiple gadgets and my laptop all at the same time with only one plug. I already have one that does most things, including multiple camera batteries, but I still need to take a separate charger for my laptop.

I wish the powers that be would get together to make sure that all countries ran on the same power output and had the same shaped plugs. (does anyone but the US use 110V?)

I wish someone would invent a natural fibre that is lightweight, non iron and quick-drying. I also wish that some hot shot fashion designer would

come up with a fashion 'story' of totally mix and match items so that I could pack 3 tops, 3 bottoms and 3 'outers' - jackets, vests etc to give me 27 different outfits.

I wish Jimmy Choo would design comfortable walking shoes.

I wish the worlds telcos would come up with a universal SIM card so that wherever I was I could just tap into that region's telco and pay them for my calls and data at a reasonable rate. We could do away with data roaming and global roaming.

I wish all hotels had free wifi. You don't pay extra for electricity or hot water. Come on guys, it's the 21 st century! The hostels and cheap hotels can do it. Makes no sense at all.

I wish all airlines would standardize their carry on sizes. I don't care about weight restrictions, they can be different. But who wants to buy a new case for each airline!

I wish all hotels had a power outlet near the bed so I could plug in my phone and not have to get up to turn off the alarm or take a call.

I wish someone would invent baby crying canceling earplugs or headphones. I can still hear it even through my Bose NCHs

Can you think of anything I've missed?

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: “ Traveller's Wishlist ”

Very funny, Eva. Very funny.