We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 February 2019, 20:57

15 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

welcome,

im at work so i have to make this quick....

- 15 days or 5 days. no different.

- remember that they do make and use washing machines outside of the USA. There are also laundrymats too. Keep that in mind while you are packing.

- People dont care what you wear or if you wear something more than 2x. Its not the oscars and people understand you are traveling.

- look at tops/bottoms that mix and match. I bring 3 pair of each incluiding what i wear on the plane.

- i bring more undies/sox. Like 5 or 6 pair that way i can go about 1 week without washing the undies/sox and tops/bottoms.

- clothes will make up most if not all of your bulk/weight. So consider that and what you bring.

- if this is a 1 off trip, then go with what you have. But if you plan to do more travel, then i would buy some travel clothes. Clothes that are lightweight/fast drying...ect.

- cotton is nice, but when it gets wet not so much. If you are not sure then wear some and douse yourself and see how you like it and having to walk in wet clothes.

- you will find that cotton is heavy/bulky and takes a long time to dry depending on the humidity. So consider carefully if you plan to bring it. get 3 pair of jean togeather and see how small a package you can make them and also weigh them.

- elecronic stuff. many things are charged/powered by USB now. So if this is what you have, leave the adapters/transformers home and get a plug adapter with USB ports. But bring the cables.

- Shoes. you will want 2 pair of COMFORTABLE shoes. Wear your most bulky on the plane. same with clothes, wear most bulky on plane. Dont try to buy something new and break it in on your trip. If you screw up your feet, you will not be happy.

- weahter. since you are from a place where you have become ACCLIMATED to warm/hot weahter, you wont like anything less in temperature or the liquid sunshine. you can look at forcasts before you go and plan/pack accordingly or you can look at stastical weather for the month you will be there and hope it follows the stats. If you are allergic or melt when it rains then bring something to keep you dry. THEre are rain SHELLS that will foldup into its own pocket for this. But if you have a jacket or coat thats water repellent with hood that can work to. It all depends on what you want to bring and carry.

- figure out if you NEED or WANT something.

- you can buy your toiletries overthere too. Toothpaste, shampoo, anything the TSA may question you on. It will save some space too.

- I would bring a day pack. If its small enough to put under the seat, the better.

- dont put any perscriptions or anything you NEED in any checked bag. If you do check in that bag, make sure you have some change of undies in your carryon and any IMPORTANT things in that carry on.

- I always have snacks/food on that carryon. I also bring a water bottle and fill that up before i board. you can also buy bottled water too and sometimes they will hand out bottles just before the flight.

- Dont drink the water from the faucets in the airplane bathroom. Even if you were to brush your teeth, i would use bottled water.

have fun and good luck

Edited: 15 October 2018, 04:03
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
24,077 posts
293 reviews
198 helpful votes
2. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

You might consider posting on the UK forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g18621…

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

im back...

look for an REI or camping/travel/hiking store in your area

my outer clothes is synthetic. Fast drying/light weight.

my undies and sox are Merino wool.

again, if this is a 1 time trip then go with what you have. If you plan to do more than buy something.

with regards to your bus tour, you wont have alot of time to do much other than to sit on a bus and stay a few nights in someplace. So you really want to consider if you will have the time to wash. You may want to do some reserach up front on where you are gong. The tour agency should be able to tell you this and then look for laundry mats in some strategic places (dont forget about days of the week too!!!!) and plan accordingly.

if you konw the lodging address, you can google maps it and look for laundrymats close by. If you dont know the address of your lodging, i would again, ask and get some info so that you can plan accordingly.

You can do the wash in your sink, but some places frown upon that. Then you will need to be able to hang stuff up to dry or Mcgyver something. Remember of how many days/nights you will stay in a place too. Time & money wise, due to this type of travel, you maybe better off finding a luandrymat that can do the wash that day, if you arrive early or overnight and pay what they want. Remember its ONLY 2+ weeks or so and the bill wont be that much compared to your whole trip. Keep the cost of doing so in perspective. Some people are cheap when it comes what they spend money on. So if this is you, again, consider how much you think you will save and the time involved. Do you really want to spend your little time you have washing your clothes? Do you like the idea of dropping it off and picking it up later or the next day while you are out and about enjoying the new and different town?

Since you are doing the bus thing, you are on their schedule and i can bet they wont wait for you. So clean or dry clothes or not, they are leaving.

i would also look at clothes colors/patters that wont show dirt as easy. You could get by, if you are lucky, without washing your outer clothes for the whole trip. The undies is a different story. You dont want to worry about any things growing where they shouldnt be.

good luck

4. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

welcome back,

if you can afford to buy some travel clothes, go for it.

I found that after getting drenched in my all cotton clothes and my wicking shirt was dry, i decided to try some travel clothes.

you will want to consider....

- pockets. pickpocketing is the favorite passtime for the bad people outside of the USA. They dont want to hurt you, they just want your money/wallet/purse or toy. So when you go shopping look at what type of pockets they have. Also, some trousers pockets, especially the fronts, wont hold in lint when you sit down. Just another issue to be aware of. Some of the "travel pants/shirts" may have button/zipper pockets. I like to use them to keep things handy such as a notepad/pen and my smaller point n shoot camera. You can look at cargo type pants too and the convertible that you can zip off the legs.

- shirts i look for ones with chest pockets. Again, for my notepad and pen and anything i want to put/keep handy.

- if you want to look at some brands, look at. I usually dont put in names of brands/companies since i feel that everyone has their own level of spending comfort. Also, some people are more of a clothes horse and i just buy for practically/function. I am also willing to buy 1 and try whereas some people want a 100000% guarantee on sight unseen purchase.

https://shop.bluffworks.com/

https://www.clothingarts.com/

i have bought and tried pants from both of the links above. They are different styles, but both have synthetic pants that will dry fast - especially if you can wring out the water or layer it in a towel to wring it out.

from Clothingarts, i got the Business style. The other ones are too outdoorsy for me and my city travels (so far).

I also have shirts from Clothingarts too. I like them since they have 4 pockets. 1 hidden behind each.

the pants from Bluffworks feel more synthetic whereas the ones from CA feel like cotton against your skin. If you are not sure about that you maybe able to get a swatch? of material and see. I think the pants from Bluff are the regular chino style.

I also have some Columbia Sportware travel shirts i just happen to get lucky and buy just before they went out of style (fashion season wise). They are heavier but have 4 pockets like the Clothing arts.

if you have an REI i would strongly suggest you head out to one and look at what they have. They do follow the fashion scene so what you can get today may not be available tomorrow. But you can find many different brands there and also look at their "garage sale" items. You dont have to be a member there to buy, but if you do there are dividends. But you pay with higher prices, but with a more generous return policy. Readup on them and see. WHen i bought my clothes and shoes from there i got back ~ 10%. Im sure they are still making money, but it was a nice way to put that 10% back into my next purchases. Also some or alot of their employees buy and USE the stuff they sell you can can pick their brains on how things work or dont.

you can also do searches on "travel clothes", not just by google, but on TA. There is a search box up top.

i will stop by my local REI yearly to see whats new and what isnt for my travels. I also do it on my travels too. You will find that some places have more travel items or like in Scotland, i found a small but nifty shop that reminded me of an miniature REI. When i mentioned it to the empolyees, they were thankful since they obviously knew about REI. I think they wished they have more space, but where they were located, it wasnt possible.

good luck

6. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

7. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
124 reviews
38 helpful votes
8. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

Don't overthink it, don't overpack. This is not an expedition to some remote location thousands of miles from civilisation!

August is usually the warmest month in the UK, with temperatures around 20° Celsius, although it may get as high as 30° for a few days. It can also be wet, so plan accordingly.

I don't do shorts, but for a similar trip to the US I'd take a couple of pairs of jeans, chinos for the more "dressed-up" evenings, t-shirts & underwear, enough to not have to do any washing for the duration of the trip, a couple of what would probably be described as casual shirts & a sweatshirt or two for the less warm days.

To cover the wet days, a light showerproof jacket & an umbrella will suffice.

In other words, what I wear on trips to the US is exactly what I wear from day to day in the UK!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
111 reviews
155 helpful votes
9. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

Pretty hot where you are so the Uk in August you will probably be happy in jeans. Take a tee shirts and light jacket. The current trendy lightweight quilted ones pack up smal and are lightl.

From the sound of what you pack - and your wife will have more - you do need to consider that the enormous cases I've seen some Americans with you are going to have to lug out to the coach and back etc unless it's a very expensive tour.

Does the tour company have a weight or size limit? Some transports do so that the drivers don't do their backs in getting the cases on and off. For instance Trafalgar

…globalcoachtours.com/trafalgars-really-usef…

You are going to be sitting a lot in a cool air con coach for 15 days so make it comfy

If you are going to do tours then you need to organise your wash stuff. Get a fold up bag with clear pockets and segregate your stuff aaccording to use. Then it's easy to find when you have to pack and unpack repeatedly.

I found hair driers/razors and such best went in a bag. Ziplock bags are great for packing. This makes it all easier to find and get hold of.

A large clear ziplock with your documents. Make a list for travelling to the airport. flight number, time etc so you don't have to get out the real ones every two minutes when you are distracted. Even more important list your travel arrangements for your return home as once you've been away seeing amazing things this info will have totally gone out of your head!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
69 reviews
91 helpful votes
10. Re: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?

RC Post #5

"pickpocketing is the favorite passtime for the bad people outside of the USA. They dont want to hurt you, they just want your money/wallet/purse or toy."

Really so no pickpockets in the good old US of A????

Electricals - you will need transformers as U.K. uses 220 volts (when we are not picking pockets).

Reply to: Clothing - what to take. 15 days to the UK. HELP?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions