We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing cubes?

usa
Level Contributor
288 posts
71 reviews
74 helpful votes
Packing cubes?

Hey gang,

I have the pleasure of traveling through Africa for three weeks--Doing safaris, beach time, winelands, horseback riding, hiking etc... We plan to be very frugal with our packing. However, since we are moving so frequently, would packing cubes be helpful or would they just add unnecessary weight? I've never used them before.

31 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
25,071 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Packing cubes?

I have used them the last couple of years and they are excellent for keeping my stuff organized.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
16 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Packing cubes?

I use packing cubes, as well as some heavy-duty zipper-close plastic bags, to keep my stuff organized, especially when on the move…

2 posts
3. Re: Packing cubes?

Packing cubes make luggage organized and compact and they're light to top it all. Before going for the cubes, keep in mind the amount and kind of stuff you'd be carrying. Check for the material the cubes are made of, their size and spill-proofness. Go for good makes.

Edited: 23 January 2018, 15:33
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,441 posts
158 reviews
169 helpful votes
4. Re: Packing cubes?

My Africa travel tends to be a lot of one or two night stays. I am not sure whether cubes really work well for that unless you pack as entire outfits in a cube. But it might separate out the unecessary clothing depending on the activities for your current location. If you have internal flights with weight restrictions you will have to decide whether to buy lighter cubes, go with ziplock plastic bags, or no organizers. Do consider the all pervasive dust that may occur in jeep travel.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
73 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Packing cubes?

I love packing cubes all the time, but especially when traveling from place to place. I use ebags packing cubes, Very light weight with some mesh so you can see what's in them. They make several shapes and sizes. It's easy to organize. For instance, one for underwear, one for tops, one for pants, etc.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
855 reviews
491 helpful votes
6. Re: Packing cubes?

If you buy the right brand they weigh nothing at all and keep your stuff from moving around and get wrinkled.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
263 reviews
135 helpful votes
7. Re: Packing cubes?

Never use them. I prefer to just organize everything in larger compartment of my bag. Every ounce counts and every cubic inch counts. Only time something is weightless is if travelling in space.

usa
Level Contributor
288 posts
71 reviews
74 helpful votes
8. Re: Packing cubes?

Thanks for all of the input--I'm still on the fence about purchasing them. Has anyone tried the "ultra light" bags available on ebags.com?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Packing cubes?

I bought packing cubes and used a carry on for a 3 week trip to Portugal. They weight practically nothing and are very sturdy and was suprised just how much I could fit in them. They keep your suitcase in an orderly fashion . I found it to be a good Investment. Like any product there are different qualities depending on the company.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
24,596 posts
2,573 reviews
2,426 helpful votes
10. Re: Packing cubes?

We purchased them last year and were very useful to organise our packing.

Reply to: Packing cubes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted