We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a good durable travel pack to take with me on my travels. I have narrowed it down to my top 3 options (however I am open to any other suggestions as well):

- Porter 46 https:/…porter-46-PORTER46.html

- Fairview 40 (female version of the farpoint) https:/…fairview-40-FAIRVEW40_706.html

- Fairview 55 (female version of the farpoint) https:/…fairview-55-2017

What I like about these bags:

- front loading

- detachable day pack on the 55 (42L main bag + 13L Daypack)

- durable/lifetime warranty

- carry-on size option (for the 40 and 46)

- straps that can tuck away for flights

- comfortable straps/support/padding on the fairview

Next year I will be embarking on a SEA trip, however I plan to do much more travelling after this, and want to get lot's of use from my bag (i.e. using it through europe, south america, etc.).

So my question is... What do you all suggest/recommend? Experiences with these bags - good or bad? Are the straps on the porter significantly uncomfortable (as I plan to do trekking as well)? Is carry-on size really all that handy? I feel that the 40L would not be enough space at all because I plan to take camera gear, buy souvenirs, and also eventually use the bag in different climates as well. Currently i am leaning toward the Porter 46 or Fairview 55 due to the extra space.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited: 23 August 2017, 10:19
30 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

Also, I have heard that if you don't pack it too full, that with certain airlines the fairwiew/farpoint 55 can be used as a carry on pack. Has anyone had experience with this?

Italy
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
2. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

I wouldn't count on the 40litre being carry on size. Yes you can take an empty pack and squish it to a smaller size but you're always counting on the good mood of the gate attendant. Here in Europe Ryanair is running ads about over sized carry ons.

You don't want to risk your camera gear in a checked bag. That means making sure your pack won't get checked. You also can't check your batteries. Best to have something small enough that you won't have problems. Also check if there are ways to avoid getting gate checked. Some airlines don't gate check if you've got certain seats or priority boarding.

On the straps etc pack covers aren't that expensive and will protect any pack small enough to fit the cover.

Have you tried them on? Comfort is a personal thing.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

welcome,

>>> So my question is... What do you all suggest/recommend? Experiences with these bags - good or bad? Are the straps on the porter significantly uncomfortable (as I plan to do trekking as well)? Is carry-on size really all that handy? I feel that the 40L would not be enough space at all because I plan to take camera gear, buy souvenirs, and also eventually use the bag in different climates as well. Currently i am leaning toward the Porter 46 or Fairview 55 due to the extra space.<<<<<

If you have a chance go try them on for fit, function and layout.

Also, have you looked at what you will bring? will it all fit in any of them? If not, i would be seriously putting time into what you will bring or not.

A side note. After my first trip, i decided to buy "travel" clothes. normally i wear cotton at home. But for my travels, i have bought lightweight, fast drying clothes. Its all synthetics. Im not a synthetic fan, but it works for travel. I also bought merino wool undies and sox. They can miss a washing or more without stinking.

Also, look at how and what you pack. you maybe able to go smaller, the 40/45 instead of bigger.

some thoughts...

- look at what you will or want to bring and the really go over if you really need it or want to hump it around.

- then put that stuff away and re examine it at a later date. If you need to make a packing list.

- you dont need clothes for every day so if you pick and choose and mix and match your tops/bottoms you can get away with less.

- remember that people do wash their clothes outside of where you live and you can do that too or have it done. you maybe surprised that in some places its not that expensive to do so.

- just because someone may say its "carry on" when it comes down to it, its up to the airlines and if you are the last person on board where all of the spaces are used up. There are some carries where your smaller choice is too big. So its just something to be aware of.

- cameras are fun and cool toys. Just think about what you want vs what you need. when i had my SLRs and gear it was alot. But i didnt travel with all of it either. PICK AND CHOOSE carefully what you bring. Either do without something else. Its a choice and you have to make it.

- where and you go with your bag makes no difference. Its just a container to put your stuff in. If you could get a garbage bag to work, you would get one and so would everyone else. Dont make it any more difficult that it is.

- i see the pack with a pack as a gimmick. Its sort of like buying or looking for a car that does it all. how many times will you need it to do all of the things you want to do? Also, look at the packs as individuals. Do they fit your needs. A side comment. I made my own "underseat" bags and use to bring and use them on my travels. They met my needs and such but i never took them on 'day trips" or such. Its was more or less to put things in for my flights/train rides - just to have things handy. I purchased a "day pack" recently and and found it nice to use to keep my things in instead of loading up my pockets. the thing was with the "day pack' was that it was made for more packing and had more padding that i wanted. I dont want a pack on my pack, i would put it inside so i bought another pack with less padding. Its not like i will load it up, i just want something to put my charger, bottle of water, snacks and a jacket if needed. Maybe some souvenirs too.

my experience and observations.....

- i got a porter 46 for my first pack/bag several years ago. It was something that fit the needs of my international flight carry on size and it was what would fit my stuff. Even with my cotton clothes, i was able to make do. But with the travel clothes there is more space and i have morphed in how i pack.

- i had to buy another porter 46 since the airlines baggage machine damaged it recently. i forgot about the lifetime warrenty, but i gave my damaged one to a co worker and he is going to use it as-is. the new one is a tad different, but i still like it.

- once you get something, you will make it work. you really wont have a choice since you probably wont be able to buy a different one. But in any case, you will eventually get one to try.

- you will learn what you need and dont need. Especially if you have to hump it around for a long time. by the time you get home, you will have a good idea on if something was a waste of time & energy to bring.

- souvenirs can be shipped home. for you it maybe more expensive since you live on an island, but if you are going to travel alot and into different places, you may want to do some research on that and actually do some calculating if it will save your back and pack space to do so. Many countries have their own version of Australian Post and you may find that for the cost vs carrying it with you for how long?, it maybe worth it to send stuff home. From the AP website it appears that i can send an Economy box < 2kg (4 lbs) to international (USA) for about 16 AUD. im sure there are duties and such, but you can get an idea on the cost to you in AUD from other countries. you can get a travel scale and use that to weigh your stuff and container. I bring and use mine on my travels. I also do as i just did for your AP to do some quick and dirty calcs to determine the cost of shipping something home. sometimes that shipping info isnt as easy to find and you may have to root around or even use google translate. Some of the info will be presented differently, but you may be able to find some info. One hint/observation is that that 2kg is usually a common theme in shipping stuff home. there is a price break, so if you go over, expect some larger prices. Also, what i do is to consolidate my souvenirs and maybe ship when i think i have enough for the < 2kg or as close as i can make it or fit the box. one other thing is that may of the local post offices, have premade/cut shipping boxs for such things so it makes it easy to buy one and fill it.

good luck

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

a thought about camera and gear.

if you are using SLR/DSLR you may want to look at some of the newer Point N Shoot (PnS) cameras. Like i mentioned, i had SLRs and such and now with the PnS, i really dont miss my SLRs. yes, you can swap lenses and such, but what i did was to get 2 pocket size PnS and overlap my zoom needs.

what i like about them is that i dont have to hump alot of heavy gear and i can put can carry them in my pocket. One camera is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and resides in my shirt pocket or my hand. I take about 80+ % of my pics with it and i love it. unfortunately its getting old and they are not making it or any newer version of it so i had to buy another PnS but its larger. Also, what i like is that i have a 'backup" camera just in case one goes bad.

just something to think about if you have alot of camera gear to take.

Italy
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

I have been looking a lot for the perfect cabin baggage piece in the last 11 years. I passed through lots of different models and what I am using now is the Benzi Ultimo but since it doesn't have any hip belt and is in the cheap side I already purchased a new farpoint 40 and I am placing the order for the new Fairview 40 (for my wife).

I would consider a top notch dual sim phone instead of the dslr in order to reduce the load and, as already someone had suggested, synthetic pants with detachable parts. I would not use synthetic underwear at all and neither I would use the terrible and very very very expensive merino. I used one once and was a total rip off for 39 euros.

So the tip is: go for the fairview and take with you only what you really need on a day to day basis,not what you think you will use.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

1.) Porter 46: Super simple bombproof design unencumbered with useless bells and whistles. It's a fantastic carry-on backpack for hotel/hostel travel. I love mine.

2.) Farpoint 40: Another bombproof design that works great for carry-on luggage. Most people find the strap/hip-belt/suspension is better than the Porter for hiking.

3.) Farpoint 55: Great backpack, but in my option the zip-on daypack is a useless marketing gimmick for a couple of reasons. 1.) Putting extra weight out and away from your spine is horrible ergonomics. 2.) The daypack is useless for carrying anything of value because it's completely out of your sight, reach and control. That's dumb.

Have fun with your shopping.

Cheers,

Terry

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
158 reviews
169 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

I've been looking at these styles too, but smaller sizes. I couldn't sind any images showing full clamshell openings except the Porter. So if the others do too, then that is a bonus. This is assuming you have seen all three in person.

As said, seriously consider why you think the 55 will work for you. You said you like the extra space, but this design is weak in two ways. If you also think it will add a day pack then it can't be storage. If you want the extra storage, better to have it in the main compartment for most effective use of space.

Recheck the for internal compression straps. If none, then consider packing in compartments....like packing cubes or ziplock bags to contend with content shift and imbalance.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,743 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

Yes, like any good backpack designed for hotel/hostel travel all three have the full front panel access into the main compartment.

If you hit a sticky check-in agent the Farpoint 55 is technically a bit too big for carry-on, but with the daypack removed most agents will let it slide.

The Porter 46 and the Farpoint 40 easily make carry-on regulations for full service airlines.

Cheers,

Terry

London, United...
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

I had the Farpoint 40 and went travelling in China with it which was absolutely fine. I also did not check in any bags and used this bag for carry on. Carry on is really important to me to stop waiting around at baggage and the fear it will get lost etc. and the ability to just get on with the journey. I usually have a packable bag inside and pack my items in cubes or compression bags. I used it when I went for skiing for a week which was a bit of a challenge as many ski clothes are very airy for insulation. Wasn't too much of an issue with the use of compression bags though.

The challenge is more about what kind of packer you are, whether you're a typical overpacker or if you're a minimalist packer (or if you strive to be).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
263 reviews
135 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55

Of the three, i like the porter 46 or the farpoint 40. I also think zip on backpacks are gimmiky. If you need the extra volume, you will need to check in the bag. In that case, go vertical ie get taller bag and keep the volume and weight closer to your body. A bag like th fairview 55 bulges out too much and will put more strain on your back.

All backpacks are a compromise of size, weight, fit, support and padding. The bag tha i settled on is a SOC Bugout Bag. It is an affordable technical bag based upon a military design. You can buy it easily from factory, amazon, ebay or ebags. You can unzip/extend its capacity from about 45 to 55 litres if you need the extra volume, especially if you need to carry souvenirs on the way home. I like the aluminum stays and nicely padded hip belt for proper support and weight transfer to hips so i can carry heavy loads. The official dimensions seem to be too tall or wide for carry on, but i can confirm that it easily compresses to fit any carry on sizer box. I use a stuffable sackpack as my daily pack and to use as my personal item to hold any valuable electronics if i decide to check in the Bugout Bag.

Here is link: …sandpiperca.com/index.php/gear-packs/bugout…

Reply to: Travel Pack: Osprey Porter 46 VS Farpoint/Fairview 40/55
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions