We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon to Malaysia

northampton
4 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon to Malaysia

Please can anyone help me and my indecisive husband to be. We are thinking about a honeymoon to Malaysia next February for two weeks. I have travelled to Thailand in the past but my fiancé hasn't, but he is keen to visit. Can anyone suggest an itinerary to visit both Thailand and Malaysia?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

Hi Norman - two weeks isn't a long time to split between both Thailand and Malaysia, personally I'd opt for one or the other then throw in a couple of days city break in at your respective travel hub.

It would be fairly easy to do a multi-destination trip in either country, for instance you could do Kuala Lumpur onto Penang then to Langkawi, or KL to either Penang and Langkawi and stay in a couple of different resorts.

Same in Thailand, fly via your Asian hub city to maybe Phuket or Koh Samui, then stay in a couple of different resorts.

Just bear in mind with a 2 week long haul that you essentially lose 2 days straight away with the travelling, then expect to lose a couple more to jet lag.

northampton
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

Thank you Happynoodleboy for your response. In your opinion which of those options would you choose? I'm swaying very much towards KL, Penang and on to Lankawi. I agree that two weeks probably won't be long enough.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

I'm with you on this, and personally I'd chose KL/Penang/Langkawi. You could quite easily book a return flight from the UK to Penang with Malaysia Airlines via KL, organise a couple of days in KL at either the start or end of the holiday, then book a separate return flight with Malaysia Air (or a budget airline such as Firefly or Air Asia if cost is a concern) from Penang to Langkawi in the middle of your 2 weeks, as opposed to buying a UK - KUL - PEN - LGK - KL - UK ticket.

The flight time between Penang and Langkawi is really quick, just enough time to get airborne, have a drink and a small snack, then you're on the ground again. No immigration hassle either since it's an internal flight.

The only downside to this plan is booking on the Internet, since Malaysia Airlines don't allow you to book a city stopover on their website unless flying to/from Australia. So if you did want a city break in KL, you'd either have to phone them to book, or book via a site such as Expedia which will allow you to do this. The downside with booking with Expedia though is that you then can't prebook your seats on the plane, and can only choose them upon check in. The new Malaysia Air A380 that flies out of Heathrow has some nice 2-seaters on the upper deck, so you're not sat next to some nutter with a bladder problem.

4. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2012, 21:57
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

You could consider Redang in Malaysia

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

With regards to travel time, Langkawi airport is rapid! Once we had literally walked out of the door of the plane, in 30 mins we had our luggage and got a taxi and were checking in ...........

If you were thinking of Thailand to, you can get flights up to Phuket from KL.

Also worth at looking at you ticket as:

UK - KL - then which ever islands/places in Malaysia/Thailand - fly back from Phuket/Samui/Bangkok - UK. You don't have to fly in and out of the same airport. Just something to remember.

7. Re: Honeymoon to Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 14:47