We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

I've spent the past month searching on here and online for a destination to go but each time I find a place that seems to fit the bill I find something that puts me off, mainly the weather or the beach/water not being a nice as I had thought.

First off, some details: We're 28yrs old, going end of July 2012 for 10 or 14 nights. Out budget is up to £5,000 and we're looking for a luxury beach resort outside of Europe. Some day time activities and sightseeing trips would be nice too.

So far ive looked at many places including the west coast of Mauritius (Maradiva, Intercontinental), St Lucia, Antigua and Aruba (keeping as south as possible of the hurricane belt) but i'm now not sure which of them will be the best choice.

Aruba seems the best place for the weather (less rain and around 30C) but i realise they all could be just as nice.

Can anyone offer me any advice to help me choose?!

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Aruba weather is fairly consistent, as you noted, and being outside the general hurricane zone means at worst (?) some heat, an occasional sprinkle if storms are nearby, and maybe a lack of trade winds if so. Very safe island, very friendly locals, and no beach peddlers of any kind. Crime is quite low but as with anywhere, you would exercise normal care.

Plenty of nice AI and non-AI options in your budget. Do note that Aruba is essentially a desert isle (non-tropical), so no lush greenery... but great beaches and excursions for all tastes.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Just like Aruba many of the Maldivian Islands weather is consistent.

I have yet to see any kind of crime on any of the island (exception of Male the capital). Male is generally a transfer point to get to your island so many tend to stay at the airport rather then hit the mainland (so to speak).

On that budget you'd have plenty of change spared depending on which island you choose.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Thanks for your replies.

Please tell me more about the Maldivian Islands that have consistent weather as everything that I've read suggests its likely to be cloudy and when it rains it does so for 1-3 days at a time. I don't mind a day of rain but if the whole trip was cloudy and raining then that obviously is less than ideal. I do appreciate the weather is unpredictable so I'm really trying to get an idea what its been like over recent years.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

End of July you should be fine with a majority of the time being sunny and warm (32C - 90F).

Saying that, I've been a few times during the wet season and only saw a max of about 5 - 10 minutes of rain during each 2 week stay.

Here is a photo of when we went during the rainy season and this was the only time it rained: flickr.com/photos/…set-72157623316094545

This was taken on Kuramathi and it literally passed over in 5 minutes. You see the rain clouds coming and then going.

Here is a video during another time on another island (Sun Island) when we went during the cross over period and as you can see not a cloud in the sky and during that stay we didn't see any rain and the water was 31C (88F)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOKf9wDWtY

Also even at 21m underwater the temps is still a warm 30C (86F).

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Brad

Edited: 09 July 2011, 03:17
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Thanks for the info there Brad. After looking at some resorts and with your info on the weather I think the maldives is where we're set on going. Just need to choose an island/resort now so i'll head over to the maldives forum to find out more.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

A number of well priced islands you'll see come up in the Maldives Forum will be:

Ellaidhoo

Dhonveli

Hudhuranfushi

Kuredu

Mihiri

just to name but a few.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Great i'll take a look at those. Do you know which islands offer the better snorkelling near the beach? My fiancee generally doesn't like the sea but I'm hoping that if there is a reef close by then I could persuade her in!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Almost all islands offer a house reef.

But is one better than the other? Well that depends on how experienced you are as a snorkeler. If experiences then none of the house reefs are good but instead you would hop on one of the snorkel excursions that each islands have to offer and they will take you away to other reefs.

Most of us on the Maldives Forum will say the same thing.

Is one better than the other - yes.

Some with descent house reefs are:

Angsana Ihuru

Cocoa Island (average but good enough for the non-regular snorkeler)

Coco Palm Bodu Hithi

Huvafenfushi

Baros

Filitheyo

Vilamendhoo

Kandolhudhoo

Angsana Ihuru

Biyadhoo

Fihalhohi

Filetheyo

Mirihi

Lily Beach

just to name a couple : P

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

I've been snorkelling once in the Cayman Islands so im very much the novice and i guess pretty much all of those suggestions would fit the bill.

I'll check those out and the other two that you suggested on the maldives forum and get back if I need any help.

Thanks again Brad

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon help... lots of researching and now confused!

Hi Dean,

I see you're looking at Kuramathi...

Here are some pics that I took from there...

flickr.com/photos/…

Brad