We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon destination summer 2022

Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

Dear all,

I would love to receive some input/tips on where to go on our honeymoon this summer in July. We will get married at the beginning of July and have three weeks off for our honeymoon afterwards.

We are looking for a beach type of holiday, preferably on a resort or hotel. It does not necessarily has to be on an island, but we do love the island-vibe with white beaches, palm trees and clear waters.

Usually we are not that active on holidays, we mainly want to relax at the pool/beach, but also explore the country a bit and maybe do a ATV-tour or f.e. some ziplining.

We live in Europe ourselves, but for our honeymoon we would prefer to travel a bit further, outside of Europe.

To give you an idea of what we like: we are currently looking at the city centre of Playa del Carmen, Mexico, as it seems like a destination that has beautiful resorts in walking distance of the 5th avenue boulevard, which seems fun and cosy with lots of restaurants under romantic string lights and with live music everywhere. What also draws us to Mexico are the historic sites, f.e. the Maya-temples, although this is not a requirement for our destination. Mexico also seems like a budget-friendly option, as the pesos are quite cheap for us compared to the euro, making it so much more appealing/easier to go out for diner every night. What does however hold me back to book our honeymoon here, is the amount of reviews I have read (and photo's I have seen) regarding the awfull smelling seaweed on the shores and in the sea, making it almost impossible to swim in the ocean.

Our budget is around 6,500 USD excl. flights incl. food. As I mentioned, we do like to eat out a lot, but we are also open to all-inclusive options. F.e. at Playa del Carmen we were looking at a resort that was around 4,000 USD all inclusive. We were planning on using the all-inclusive-option during the day for breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks and to go out at night for diner from the remaining part of our budget.

I hope the above paints a picture of what we are looking for.

I would really appreciate your input! If anything is not clear, please let me know! Thank you in advance!

Ps. Pardon my English, it is not my native language.

10 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
493 reviews
122 helpful votes
1. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

I cannot answer your question about the seaweed, I'm afraid. Maybe Sea-Reed, who is most knowledgeable about the Caribbean, will be along later to comment.

The Riviera Maya of which Playa del Carmen is a part is lovely and it's relatively easy to get to from the U.K. There have been some hair-raising incidents of violent crime between drug cartels with tourists getting in the cross-fire. The Mexican government responded with a heavy military presence to tamp it down. I would recommend staying in an all-inclusive resort to minimize risk. There are also beach resorts worth considering on the Pacific Ocean side of Mexico: Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit or Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, for example, tho they don't have the Mayan ruins like Tulum.

Edited: 02 May 2022, 17:50
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
415 reviews
139 helpful votes
2. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

My experience. We stayed at the Moon Palace, Cancun. Part of the Palace resorts company. They have several. You can as we did, utilized all resorts. Free shuttle between them. We had a different resort experience every night and utilized their activities, nightly entertainment, meals and cocktails. They had a concierge that made arrangements for tours. Happy travels!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
493 reviews
122 helpful votes
3. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

There is also a Rivera Maya Destination forum

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659488-i11442-k12543990-Riviera_Maya-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

and a Playa del Carmen Destination Forum

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150812-i23-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

The Destination Experts for those locations, with their in-depth knowledge of a smaller geographic area, are more likely to know the answers than responders on this world-wide Forum. You could post your specific questions about seaweed and similar questions there.

4. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my post!

I think my initial post was not clear enough. It is not that my question for you is whether the seaweed in Playa del Carmen is indeed as bad as it appears and if we should or should not stay there.

I was trying to describe that the ambience of Playa del Carmen is what we are looking for and my question is if anyone has alternatives for specific islands/cities/countries that do have this kind of vibe (white beaches, palm trees, a boulevard such as 5th avenue with music and good food everywhere in combination with nice resorts).

I can find a lot of beautiful resorts that check all of the boxes, except for the location. Most of them are not near a city center and even though these resorts are huge and have everything you would need during a holiday, I just love walking out of a resort to find a long street of restaurants and stores at walking distance. I can also find a lot of cities that only have hotels in the city center, but not really resorts, which we prefer.

That is why I posted this in a world-wide forum rather than in the Mexico/Playa del Carmen forum.

I hope this makes my question clearer. Thanks again!

Walt Disney World...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
11,105 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
5. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

“CV suggests SeaReed to seek re seaweed”?

Nice tongue twister!! 🧉🧉

Yeah, deff a ? best posed among Playa del Carmen forum regulars, in general. Re “alternatives”, might find them in Beach Vacations also.

Edited: 08 May 2022, 18:07
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
60 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

Hi Honey Mooners,

I have never been to Playa del Carmen, but after reading your final post, are you looking for more of a city/resort location? I'm thinking something like San Juan (Condado or Isla Verde), Puerto Rico or is that too city?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
60 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

After reading your initial post again, I'm not sure if San Juan is what you're looking for. Because it's US, it will not be as affordable as Mexico. There are also no all inclusive options.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
19,402 posts
15 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

If Playa del Carmen ticks all your boxes, why not go there??

Honestly, it's a wonderful area, so much to explore all around the area, ferry to Cozumel, ruins all around, the ambience of 5rh Avenue and the abundant dining options is just incredible, and the beach is gorgeous with a ton of different beach clubs. In Playa itself, personally, I'd skip AI as there's just so many places to eat and drink at virtually all price ranges - staying somewhere like Acanto with a kitchen so you can do a little self catering also makes for a fab trip. Maybe wrap up with a few days in a lux AI after a week or such exploring all Playa has to offer. We just did a week there and seriously barely dented our list of places to try!

Seaweed/sargassum is a fact of life across the Caribbean. It's "worse" in summer months, but not a deterrent in the slightest.. Playa and environs move mountains to clean it up, there's berms to help keep it offshore, etc. It wouldn't stop us visiting in the slightest (and FWIW, we suffer it here in St Lucia also, along with almost every Caribbean nation).

Somewhere with similar vibes to Playa may be Aruba. Loads of outstanding restaurants and bars, easy to get around, stunning beaches, and mainly out of the sargassum belt - worth taking a good look. AI isn't much of a deal there though, you won't find big AI resorts like in the Yucatan, mainly cuz it's so easy to get around and so many excellent dining options at all price points. Beautiful resorts, great food, lovely atmosphere, etc.

Barbados may be another good option. St Lawrence Gap is a great area with a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. Lots of beautiful beaches, pretty easy to get around, etc.

Maybe Antigua, particularly around English Harbor or Dickenson Bay? Beautiful beaches all around the island, fairly easy to get around, loads of restaurants and bars, etc.

None of those three will have as much in the way of land activities or ruins, things like that - but beautiful beaches, great food, atmosphere and some land activities, just not as extensive as the Yucatan...

Given your wish list though - there's no reason not to go to Playa. It's pretty fantastic!

Safe travels...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
130 posts
74 reviews
42 helpful votes
9. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

I love Playa de Carmen, but as you pointed out many of the nice resorts are not within walking distance to downtown (5th ave) - - you would need to either take a taxi into town or some of the resorts offer shuttles.

One of my favorite towns in that part of Mexico is Puerto Morelos because it is small, is right on the barrier reef so has fantastic diving/snorkeling and is more local than a tourist feel. However I also have friends that did part of their honeymoon in Tulum, which has tons of fantastic hotels along the beach that I would recommend as well.

For a place not in Mexico have you thought about Belize? Again it is beautiful, you can stay at gorgeous resorts on the beach as well as some beautiful jungle resorts. We did our 10th anniversary there and it was fantastic.

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
147 reviews
77 helpful votes
10. Re: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Save

You might consider Phuket, French Polynesia is amazing, Costa Rica, Bermuda. All mentioned offer stunning water, beaches and multiple activities.

Reply to: Honeymoon destination summer 2022
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted