We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe

ca
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Considering a trip for our 20th anniversary in mid-late September 2022. Would love to go Europe (broad I know!) AND get a relaxing beach vacation in. Any ideas to where we could do a beach vacation (Portugal? Italy?) for 5 days or so and then head to another location to explore sites, museums etc for another 5 days? We have spent all sorts of time in Mexico and Hawaii- and would love to do something different for our 20th- while still getting some of that relaxing beach vacation vibe in.

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
37,353 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Yes, you could do that in Portugal or Italy …

Any of the “almost 50 different countries in Europe that have coastline have beaches, and also history given how old each country is…

You just really need to research the countries that interest you to find out which one really appeals to you most, and it wont be easy to choose just one, IMO ( and experience)

Greece has very interesting Islands with lovely beaches and delicious food, ancient historical sites etc

Spain too…

France too… and Croatia too, plus other countries

Cyprus is popular, various beaches in Turkey are popular , on and on really …

Edited: 11 December 2021, 22:28
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,353 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Id suggest checking out:

1. Tripadvisor “ DESTINATION” Forums for Any Country of Interest… EVERY Country in Europe has a Destination Forum here, plus Destination Experts who give advice

2. Guide Books- every country will have very informative travel guide books, full of sample Itineraries, Hotel listings, Prices, Attractions listings, Restaurant listings, Shopping etc

3.Online Travel Guides, Vlogs/Blogs, You Tube Videos

4.Airline Websites ( give an idea of costs, flights times, durations and availability

5. Official Tourism Bureau websites are very helpful

6. Travel Agencies - Online or physical store fronts- for possible tour and travel company Itineraries, or

professional recommendations/help/prices etc

7. Train websites… train travel is big in Europe

The more you research the better able you can decide what youll enjoy

Edited: 11 December 2021, 22:40
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,353 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Oops, One more

Seat61.com is a great resource for Train Travel info /Europe and Also for Ferry travel info…

Lots of people travel by Ferry between islands in Europe

The Travel Guide books suggested in point #2, can also be borrowed from your local Public Library free of

charge, and are usually current copies… No need to invest in buying any

Did l mention the Canary Islands?…

Also could fit your description

Last idea…

Look online for Weather “ AVERAGES” for September for any country, then you’ll know what kind of temps you might expect …

http://seat61.com

Edited: 11 December 2021, 22:50
Walt Disney World...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
4. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Wish wish wish to enthusiastically say “Turkey” to you, but…. the whole Erdogan thing, Lira tanking…. Financially, yes. But….??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
479 reviews
120 helpful votes
5. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

My trips to Europe primarily have been for cities, monuments, museums and such but I've also had a day here or there relaxing at a beach locale, as you mention. One thing I have noticed is that quite a few of them do not have those broad sand beaches like you find in Mexico, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. Sometimes, like the French Riviera (at least the parts I've seen), it's small pebbles. In Malta, it was mostly swimming pools, though there were flat rocky areas that people used for swimming; I think there were some small sandy beaches on the island of Gozo in Malta. I remember seeing very nice sand beach at Positano on the Amalfi Coast; also along the Adriatic Coast of Italy (Ancona, I think it was); Taormina on the island of Sicily; the Greek island of Santorini; Portofino on the Italian Riviera. Croatia has a very long coastline and over 1,000 islands; the little bit of it I saw did not include sandy beach but besides some remarkable monuments, there must be some beach resorts.

As post #4 mentions, Turkey offers beach resorts as well as wonderful sightseeing from Greek and Roman ruins to early Christian and Byzantine sites and splendid Ottoman architecture. If you went to Rhodes, you'd find Crusader fortifications.

One place with a beautiful long strand was Tel Aviv and, for history and monuments, you can hardly beat Israel.

I'm sure there are many more places with beaches that I have not had a chance to visit.

Edited: 12 December 2021, 05:08
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
20,624 posts
61 reviews
190 helpful votes
6. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

How about somewhere like Rhodes in Greece? Staying in somewhere like Ixia gives you a beach holiday vibe (although not the best beach there as it's full of shingle, conversely the water is beautifully clear). But then you're a 10 min taxi ride from Rhodes Town where you can soak in the atmosphere of the old town, walk around the ruins, visit museums etc, so it's the best of both worlds. Weather in September is normally perfect too.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
412 reviews
139 helpful votes
7. Re: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Save

Nice. Beach I found to be delightful. Happy travels.

Reply to: 20th Anniversary ideas: relaxing beach & Europe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.