We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay

18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

9 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
19,293 posts
15 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

Where are they wanting to go? Domestic, as in stay in US? International?

What hotels have you checked that require 21 or up?

In the US, it's mainly 18 and up, given their legal adults.

There's also AirBnB options, which is 18 and up, unless specified in the specific rental's House

Rules..

You can check out this website, which helps find hotels in cities that accept 18+ for reservations and check-in..

Safe travels

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
37,328 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

June is a good time of year in terms of weather for pretty much any destination in North America, or Europe and still very early on for Caribbean hurricane season to be in effect, which is just starting…

Also pretty much no need to rent a car in most cases.. Ubers, and other forms of public transit are usually available in most cases.

They should just choose a destination they really want to visit, and then research their options …

Airbnb, Hostels and many Hotel chains allow 18 year olds to rent…

See the following link for some accomodation choices avail-

https://firstquarterfinance.com/hotels-that-allow-18-year-olds-to-check-in/

And then start the research from there

Edited: 01 December 2021, 23:45
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
37,328 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

Also, if they're up for a US road trip/domestic travel, could they could just drive a personal vehicle from home…

Really all of this planning would be most dependant on their overall budget, length of holiday, their personal interests etc …

Again, if you check the link lve left in reply #2, youll see that Hotel /accommodation choices ARE available to 18 year olds

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
478 reviews
120 helpful votes
4. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

I have always understood that many hotels (at least in the U.S.) prefer not to rent rooms to guests under age 21. Hostels do but in the U.S., they are found almost exclusively in big cities. In Europe, hostels are common.

Car rental will be hugely expensive for them as car rental companies charge more for young drivers. It would be better if they choose a destination where a car is not needed. That could be a Caribbean island, one or more big cities in the U.S (they could combine New York City, Philadelphia and Washington , D.C., for instance and travel between by Amtrak). or Europe where travel by train is very efficient and there's an excellent train network for intercity travel as well as good public transit within many cities.

I have never investigated cruise lines' minimum age for booking. That might be worth looking into.

Level Contributor
1,500 posts
18 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

There are three places I've stayed where I was able to go to almost everywhere I wanted to visit via public transportation were Chicago, Boston and D.C. Of these, the subway systems in Boston and D.C. were the nicest as far as cleanliness and safety went. That being said, we took three kids on the El in Chicago, and it was mostly okay. A good location in Chicago is River North.

I'm going to throw out a wild suggestion on the lodging: try the VRBO route. Look for one that is run by an individual vs. a property management company. In the message box to the owner, have a parent explain the situation and tell them that you'll be paying for the rental. If the owner is okay with this, get it in writing, book the rental and then have your son pay you back. Again, possibly a crazy suggestion, but you do have a somewhat unique situation. I suggested VRBO vs. Air BnB because I think the reviews are more realistic. This is based on reading reviews for a rental property near my lake cabin that has two very different types of reviews on both of these sites.

Another crazy idea would be for a parent to book two rooms in a very large hotel. The parents would have to travel with them, but could then make themselves scarce in a large hotel.

Good luck, and congrats to both of them!

Edited: 03 December 2021, 06:34
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
22,436 posts
290 reviews
152 helpful votes
6. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

Booking and checking in to hotels under the age of 21 isn’t unusual in Europe, as long as they have credit cards. 18 year olds stay in hotels all the time, for work, to attend concerts, for holidays etc.

Hiring a car, however, is really a non starter. I can’t think of any of the big hire companies who rent cars to under 21 year olds or let them drive. If they did find one then insurance is likely to be prohibitively expensive. Also, here in Europe, they’d need to specify an automatic if that’s what they wanted.

But where are they planning to travel to please? Within the US? Europe? The Far East? Somewhere else?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
1,10,855 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
7. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

I agree they would be better off forgetting about the car aspect. I think San Francisco might be a good idea if they can find somewhere that will allow them to stay. But basically any city will provide things to do and transport to get around.

Spery, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
27,960 posts
188 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

I posted on your closed thread. "Congratulations! How much time do they have? Do they have a car to do a road trip vs fly and rent? What are they interested seeing?" My thought was a VRBO/airbnb for Chicago. I don't see anything that says 18 year olds can't rent, but maybe I missed something?

Walt Disney World...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
11,037 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
9. Re: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Save

Timeframe/ length of trip…? Budget? Did I miss??

Reply to: 18 Year old's honeymoon traveling where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.